[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington Redskins

Washington Redskins

If the PC police get there way and the team is forced to change it's name, where will it stop?

Here are some others....

Redman Tobacco www.redman.com
    Hiphop rapper name Redman
    Indian Motorcycles.
    Blackhawks
    indians MLB

Why is it that the only people who seem to be offended by the name RedSkins is the White man?

Re: Washington Redskins

What you call the "PC Police" is really just the power of the free market exerting its preferences.

Sometimes you may not like the preferences of the market - but don't be an intellectual punk and mislabel market activity as the action of a police state.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    What you call the "PC Police" is really just the power of the free market exerting its preferences.

Sometimes you may not like the preferences of the market - but don't be an intellectual punk and mislabel market activity as the action of a police state.
    Do you know what the PC police is?

Yes, and the effort to get the Redskins name stricken from the NFL is not PC Police - it is an action of the market expressing its preferences. PC Police are those are enforced one sided speech codes at universities.

Yes, and the effort to get the Redskins name stricken from the NFL is not PC Police - it is an action of the market expressing its preferences. PC Police are those are enforced one sided speech codes at universities.

So how exactly is the market expressing its preference? The stadium was full, the games on are national television. People are buying as much Redskins merchandise today as they did last year if not more!

Players are playing... So what exactly is the market expressing? Nike hasn't quit making uniforms with their logo on them.

90% of all Native Americans surveyed doesn't find the name offensive and actually like the name.

It is 100% the politically correct police in this matter and it seems none of those police are even Native American.

Sounds like Brook doesn't understand how a free market works.

This might prove educational: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Quote Originally Posted by Vizike
    He knows how it works.... he just doesn't like that it isn't working the way he thinks it should as referenced by Jeep's post above.

He doesn't like that the true will of the market is to leave it be and thinks the extreme minority is the market force that should be making the decision.

He conveniently uses terms like this when they suit his arguments. He is one of the biggest hypocrites when it comes to that.

If we applied his logic to Obamacare we would not have Obamacare... a tremendously larger percentage of the population is against Obamacare than is against the name Redskins.

The free market of ideas are people like Phil Sims or Dungy who won't use the word "Redskins" on air this year.

The Redskins are absolutely free to keep their mascot and name. And those who despise the mascot are free to express their contempt or do things like pressure Redskin and/or NFL advertisers.

But the critics are not going away and they will not stop criticizing and pressuring Snyder and advertisers to cave. This will be shoved continually in the face of the Washington franchise until they give up the fight.

Banned

Brooklyn and a Box of rocks, have a lot in common. Come to think of it,... and a bag of hammers too

I'm a Native American, and I don't find any of this offensive at all. In fact, I look at it as more of an honor.

When people inquire about my heritage, I tell them I'm an Indian, feather not dot. Sometimes I tell them I'm a half-breed, because I'm exactly 50% mixed.

What bothers me is that people who have no skin in the game, pun intended, presume to speak for those of us that do have skin in the game, or to know how we "feel".

Quote Originally Posted by Vizike

Yup. Forbes ranks the Redskins as the third most-valuable NFL franchise.

http://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/

No free market problems there!

The free market of ideas are people like Phil Sims or Dungy who won't use the word "Redskins" on air this year.

The Redskins are absolutely free to keep their mascot and name. And those who despise the mascot are free to express their contempt or do things like pressure Redskin and/or NFL advertisers.

But the critics are not going away and they will not stop criticizing and pressuring Snyder and advertisers to cave. This will be shoved continually in the face of the Washington franchise until they give up the fight.
    I'm not a Redskins fan nor do I like Snyder, BUT I would love to see them win the Super Bowl this year to piss all these people off even more.

We'll see how long the franchise stays the Redskins.

We'll see how long the franchise stays the Redskins.
    Sounds like something the arch-villain would say in a movie.

Look at what has happened to Rush Limbaugh.

The pressure will be brought to bare on the NFL and the NFL will in turn bring the heat to Washington and either compel the name change or force Snyder to sell the team.

Too many fans who hate the name are NFL customers. The negative publicity will have an impact and the NFL HATES negative publicity premised on racism - especially in a league filled with minorities

What has happened to Rush Limbaugh? Was he forced to change his name or something?

Check Clear Channels financials.

Banned

???

Banned

SHADOW CAMPAIGN: HANDFUL OF ACTIVISTS RESPONSIBLE FOR ANTI-LIMBAUGH CRUSADE

In a wide-ranging interview with All Access, Clear Channel Networks president Darren Davis claims that after an exhaustive investigation into the social media campaign against talk radio titan Rush Limbaugh and his advertisers, they found that 70 percent of the attacks were coming from just 10 highly organized individuals.
    Apparently these activists are full-timers who use social media (Facebook, Twiter) to intimidate any small local business that advertises during Limbaugh's show on their local station. These activists go so far as to pose as local customers when the truth is that 80 percent of the complaints about Limbaugh come from a state different from the one the business is located in.
    The big story -- and what we have learned -- is that virtually all the negativity around him over the last two years has stemmed from very small number of people in social media. We have found that 70% of the attacks are coming from just 10 people. Ten people around America - and we know who they are -- sit at their computers all day sending out tweets, then use computer technology to amplify them. …
    80% of the attacks come from a different state than where the business exists. It's really amplified when you look at it that way. A small business in New York is getting letters, Facebook posts and tweets supposedly from customers boycotting their business -- when it's all coming from a person who actually lives in Nevada. It's the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever come across. We're definitely going to do a big job of telling the truth.
    The Left is genius at this kind of propaganda. It's exactly what the mainstream media does but on a more tightly focused scale.
    The idea is to manufacture a reality that doesn’t exist. Regardless of public's real opinion on, say, gun control, the MSM will coordinate with every cable news network, network newscast, website, and print outlet to fabricate a reality meant to convince 100 Senators and 435 Representatives that all Americans care about is having their 2nd Amendment civil rights taken away from them.
    From the looks of it, 10 dedicated activists are doing the same to Limbaugh's advertisers: coordinating a campaign to fabricate a reality that says doing business with Limbaugh is bad for business instead of good.

Thread Information