[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Millennials

Millennials

I don't get Millennials nor do I get all the hand-wringing about Millennials. Much has been written about them. I know this because I see the headlines of all the stories, none of which I have read. I am going to start reading, and posting, some of these articles so I can figure out if all the fuss is warranted. Most likely, it isn't.

If you have any thoughts or experiences with Millennials, please add your comments.

Word

Re: Millennials

Generation Wuss:

But then again my reaction stems from the fact that I am looking at Millenials from the POV of a member of one of the most pessimistic and ironic generations that has ever roamed the earth—Generation X—so when I hear Millenials being so damaged by “cyber-bullying” that it becomes a gateway to suicide—it’s difficult for me to process. And even my boyfriend agrees that Generation Wuss is overly sensitive, especially when dealing with criticism. When Generation Wuss creates something they have so many outlets to display it that it often goes out into the world unfettered, unedited, posted everywhere, and because of this freedom a lot of the content displayed is rushed and kind of ****ty and that’s OK—it’s just the nature of the world now—but when Millennials are criticized for this content they seem to collapse into a shame spiral and the person criticizing them is automatically labeled a hater, a contrarian, a troll. And then you have to look at the generation that raised them, that coddled them in praise—gold medals for everyone, four stars for just showing up—and tried to shield them from the dark side of life, and in turn created a generation that appears to be super confident and positive about things but when the least bit of darkness enters into their realm they become paralyzed and unable to process it.

My generation was raised by Baby Boomers in a kind of complete fantasy world at the height of the Empire: Boomers were the most privileged and the best educated children of The Great Generation, enjoying the economic boom of post-World War II American society. My generation realized that like most fantasies it was a somewhat dissatisfying lie and so we rebelled with irony and negativity and attitude or conveniently just checked-out because we had the luxury to do so. Our reality compared to Millennial reality wasn’t one of economic hardship. We had the luxury to be depressed and ironic and cool. Anxiety and neediness are the defining aspects of Generation Wuss and when you don’t have the cushion of rising through the world economically then what do you rely on? Well, your social media presence: maintaining it, keeping the brand in play, striving to be liked, to be liked, to be liked. And this creates its own kind of ceaseless anxiety. This is why if anyone has a snarky opinion of Generation Wuss then that person is labeled by them as a “douche”—case closed. No negativity—we just want to be admired. This is problematic because it limits discourse: if we all just like everything—the Millennial dream—then what are we going to be talking about? How great everything is? How often you’ve pressed the like button on Facebook?
    http://hotair.com/headlines/archives...neration-wuss/

http://www.vanityfair.fr/culture/liv...on-ellis/15837

Reason Magazine has a series of articles on the subject.

http://reason.com/millennials

They aren't getting into the workforce as well as other generations, so older people tend to think that there's something wrong with their work ethic. Republicans like to paint them as stupid Democratic zombies as they do anyone that disagrees with them, but they are more entrepreneurial than previous generations. They're also the most socially liberal generation ever, so that's good.
    You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Every generation thinks the previous generation is lazy and/or liberal zombies. They are twenty so of course they're liberal, but saying they are more entrepreneurial is putting commercial strength lipstick on a pig.

Many of the same articles are just recycled Gen X articles. They clung to Obama like love sick puppies so left and right leaning jurnos love to write about them for opposite reasons.

They don't know it yet, but they're screwed. They voted for it so it's hard to feel bad for them.

-------------------------------------
    [i]In the last election it was the Millennials (18-29 year olds) that brought President Obama home on his hope and change miracle tour; but now, just over a year later, a Harvard Institute of Politics poll finds that a stunning 57% of 18-29 year olds disapprove of Obamacare. As we noted before, this is a critical breakdown in making the Affordable Care Act 'affordable' but it seems less healthy customer are more likely to persevere through the technical obstacle to gain coverage than younger, healthier "customers" who feel less need for insurance (never mind the "easy" women and keg-standing men). The poll gets worse with 40% expecting the quality of their coverage to worsen, and as Bloomberg reports, even more troubling for the White House, almost half in that age group say they’re unlikely to enroll in insurance through a government exchange, even if eligible.[/i]

-------------------------------------------------
    Entrepreneurial the new hashtag for unemployed:

"It seems to me that if you went to college and took on student debt, there used to be greater assurance that you could pay it off with a good job," sums up one 'millennial', adding - sadly - "but now, for people living in this economy and in our age group, it's a rough deal." As WSJ reports, only about a third of adults in their early 20s works full-time - the lowest rate in 40 years - as the combination of structural changes and this recession "is devastating for millennial." Despite think-tanks demanding more of employers in terms of workplace rules and minimum wages, the reality is workers are expected to do more for less and be grateful - "this is a huge problem when think of where demand is going."

The young are earnings less and less relative to the average earnings in the US...

as the younger generation's participation in the labor force fell more than 3 times as fast in the "lost decade" as in the previous two decades...

"The combination of structural change plus this particular recession has been devastating for millennials," ... "It has really knocked them back, and some of these losses are permanent

Millenial Hope - Then And Now

Millenials are screwed because of the culmination of 40 or so years of conservative economic policy in this country. This has naturally led to a concentration of wealth and crappier job market at the bottom, you see it time and time again throughout history. But go ahead and keep telling yourself that it's because of the ACA.
    You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

The ACA is only part of the problem. Bailing out the banks and the auto industry, cash for clunkers, etc., etc. only add to the mayhem the dems and Barry have created. I shouldn't blame just the dems because the reps have been just as complicit in the downfall. Government in general is no longer about making circumstances conducive to success but its now about being more intrusive in everyone's life.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

The last 40 years aren't the reason for this, the last 6 are....

As a millennial, I'll chime in with some thoughts:

-- Someone else pointed this out, but pretty much every generation claims that the generations that come after theirs are lazy and unworthy. My grandfather thought my Dad was lazy. He ended up graduating from the Air Force Academy, Harvard, was a navigator in over 100 combat mission in Vietnam and had a distinguished 30 year career in the Air Force as an officer. You can't necessarily judge a generation by what they do in their teens and twenties. Does no one remember what Baby Boomers did in the 60's?

-- My generation has been told from birth that we are all special and that if we just check all the boxes (education, etc.), then we'll end up being successful in life. Obviously that isn't the case and so many people are adjusting to the realities of life. Unfortunately, I never see any introspection from the older generations who raised the generation of kids they apparently don't like.

-- Job prospects for this generation are much worse than those of the last two generations. Kids go to college, rack up a bunch of debt, and then get out and can't find jobs that will payback their student loans. That is a huge problem and one that society hasn't figured out.

-- Loyalty to employers is low among this generation because employer loyalty is at an all time low. My uncle just retired from Xerox after working there for 37 years. That really doesn't happen anymore. For many baby boomers, both those who went to college and who didn't, there was a much greater supply of stable jobs to choose from than there is now. Companies today won't hesitate to layoff people after having one bad quarter of earnings. It's a two way street. Young people realize this and so they try to get everything they can (promotions, earnings, etc.) while they can get it because it may not be there tomorrow.

-- There's not an age cut off for laziness. Some of the laziest people that I work with are all older. It doesn't mean all old people are lazy.

-- My generation has problems, but so does every other generation. Give our group time and I'm sure we'll end up doing better than you think.

I think prior generations better understood and accepted the notion of working your way up. As an example (and not the only one I know in this situation) my nephew graduated from a lower-tier state school with a soft major and moved cross-country to stay with us while he looked for a job in his field. He was sooo confident...he said he was going to interview with several firms and pick the one he thought was the best fit as the money would be good wherever. Said it would probably be 2-3 weeks at most. Didn't want to work in a traditional corporation as he said most companies don't really encourage employees to be creative and express themselves, blah blah...

I just laughed, and 6 mos later he was still living in our basement and waiting tables. He's doing fine now and in his field but that was his first dose of the real world for him. He's much more humble now. Happens to us all.

I'm one Gen-Xer that doesn't mind Millenials. Except the hipsters. They annoy the **** out of me.

Thread Information