[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: The Barbarians Within Our Gates

You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Re: The Barbarians Within Our Gates

The whole Arab empire is in disarray because England, France, and the US have been f***ing with them for almost 100 years now. The whole ME has been been reshaped by these three countries and it's causing an insane amount of trouble. And then, when they finally find someone who can control everyone and make things work(Saddam) then we roll in there and take him out because he was selling his oil for gold and euros, or (Gadaffi) was planning on starting three central banks in Africa to compete with the western bankers. Do you want to know why things are so f***ed up over there? Go read the last hundred year history of that region. It's pretty obvious.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

You didn't read the article well enough. Even the author says it cannot all be attributed to foreign powers. Israel isn't a foreign power, but when the Arabs got their asses handed to them in SIX DAYS in 1967, that was a benchmark of the actual falling apart of the Arab world. Arabs and Muslims were flabbergasted that they could be whupped by such a small nation. BTW, our foreign aid to them was very miniscule at that time too. They've also never asked the US once to fight any battle for them. They had to be RESTRAINED in the first Gulf War NOT to attack after enduring SCUDS from Saddam for weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog
    You didn't read the article well enough. Even the author says it cannot all be attributed to foreign powers. Israel isn't a foreign power, but when the Arabs got their asses handed to them in SIX DAYS in 1967, that was a benchmark of the actual falling apart of the Arab world. Arabs and Muslims were flabbergasted that they could be whupped by such a small nation. BTW, our foreign aid to them was very miniscule at that time too. They've also never asked the US once to fight any battle for them. They had to be RESTRAINED in the first Gulf War NOT to attack after enduring SCUDS from Saddam for weeks on end.
    Israel's whole existence is due to Western powers. It was the ultimate kick in the nuts after 40-50 years of oppression by England and France.

Quote Originally Posted by NoleSoup4U
    The whole Arab empire is in disarray because England, France, and the US have been f***ing with them for almost 100 years now. The whole ME has been been reshaped by these three countries and it's causing an insane amount of trouble. And then, when they finally find someone who can control everyone and make things work(Saddam) then we roll in there and take him out because he was selling his oil for gold and euros, or (Gadaffi) was planning on starting three central banks in Africa to compete with the western bankers. Do you want to know why things are so f***ed up over there? Go read the last hundred year history of that region. It's pretty obvious.
    Don't act like everything was hunky dory when Saddam and all the other dictators were controlling the place. You have to go Waaay back in history to argue any sort of a civilized society actually existed in the region (not that there weren't wasn't perpetual war/conquest).

The place has been a cluster for much longer than a 100 years. It's my belief that the US wouldn't have to intervene in those countries affairs, if they were actually stable. Of course the only reason we care is oil.

It was more civilized than it is now. Now it's a complete mess. A mess that we've put trillions of dollars and thousands of lives into.

It was more civilized than it is now. Now it's a complete mess. A mess that we've put trillions of dollars and thousands of lives into.
    I agree with that. The situation is so complicated. I'm not sure that there is a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by KeystoneTX
    I agree with that. The situation is so complicated. I'm not sure that there is a solution.
    I don't think the region ever fully recovered (relative to Europe) after the Mongol invasions of the 13th century. It's a shame, really, they did some great stuff when they were stable and had their act together.

Israel's whole existence is due to Western powers. It was the ultimate kick in the nuts after 40-50 years of oppression by England and France.
    Israel existed long before the European powers were interfering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe92
    I don't think the region ever fully recovered (relative to Europe) after the Mongol invasions of the 13th century. It's a shame, really, they did some great stuff when they were stable and had their act together.
    If it weren't for the Muslim scholars we wouldn't have much of the knowledge of Greek and Roman history. While the Catholic church was burning anything that might compete with their teachings in any way, the scholars in the ME were preserving them.

Israel existed long before the European powers were interfering.
    Yeah, and they were driven out. What is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe92
    If it weren't for the Muslim scholars we wouldn't have much of the knowledge of Greek and Roman history. While the Catholic church was burning anything that might compete with their teachings in any way, the scholars in the ME were preserving them.
    The Muslim scholars were pretty clutch back then with ancient texts, and there was an incredible rate of innovation, especially in Baghdad. There were some monasteries scattered throughout Europe that saved books and kept the literary tradition going, but yeah, I bet lots of people went through their whole lives not even meeting anyone that was literate. Can't even imagine. Hope we never go back to that.

Thread Information