[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Delivers Forceful Message to UN

Obama Delivers Forceful Message to UN

"UNITED NATIONS — President Obama laid out a forceful new blueprint on Wednesday for deeper American engagement in the Middle East, telling the United Nations General Assembly that the Islamic State understood only “the language of force” and that the United States would “work with a broad coalition to dismantle this network of death.”

In a much-anticipated address two days after he expanded the American-led military campaign against the group, also known as ISIS or ISIL, into Syria, Mr. Obama said, “Today, I ask the world to join in this effort,” declaring, “We will not succumb to threats, and we will demonstrate that the future belongs to those who build, not those who destroy.”

“Those who have joined ISIL should leave the battlefield while they can,” Mr. Obama said in a blunt declaration of his intentions.

The president also said: “We will neither tolerate terrorist safe-havens, nor act as an occupying power. We will take action against threats to our security, and our allies, while building an architecture of counterterrorism cooperation.”

Toward that end the Security Council unanimously approved a resolution Wednesday calling on all countries to adopt laws making it a serious crime for their citizens to join a militant group like the Islamic State or the Nusra Front.

Mr. Obama’s efforts to forge a strong coaltion to fight the Islamic State received another lift Wednesday from Prime Minister David Cameron of Britain, who recalled Parliament to meet on Friday and vote on whether to join U.S.-led airstrikes against Islamic State militants in Iraq after Baghdad requested help, the British government said. France has already taken part...."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/world ... v=top-news

Re: Obama Delivers Forceful Message to UN

Fascist, corporatist douche.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Yeah, exactly.

Banned

Jiz reaction

Wars of aggression, erosion of civil liberties, and an overall imperialistic outlook on the world. Sure, Obama isn't on the same level, but there are similarities.

more red lines for everyone to cross...nobody takes Obama serious

Most of the original AQ is dead, and so probably not taking anything serious. He's consistently gone after terrorists and killed them, like he promised in 2008, something I would assume you'd applaud.

I think the important point for everyone to remember on this is, conducting a war is the last thing this president wants to do. he would be much happier sitting in the Oval Office using his phone and his pen on domestic issues, and then heading out to play 18 holes. this president must be seeing intelligence that we are not allowed to know, which scares him absolutely shortless. otherwise, there is no way he would be doing this.

The guy who won't back up what he says hasn't a clue. Obama promised and has delivered on pursuing terrorists. OK to criticize other part of his policies, but on this he has been consistent and effective.

an effective president wouldn't have allowed some terrorist group no one had heard of a year ago to take over two countries and declare itself a sovereign state.

As emphasized by the President in his speech yesterday, his commitment and ours to seek out and kill terrorists does not include occupying territory and doing the on the ground heavy lifting which is the job of those living there. If they won't do it, we are wasting our time, money, and lives of our troops.

Obama's message, summarized.

We are willing to bomb the heck out of ISIL, but the American public won't stand for boots on the ground. We'll do the light show if you guys supply some troops. We'll be behind you every step of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wordjazz
    Most of the original AQ is dead, and so probably not taking anything serious. He's consistently gone after terrorists and killed them, like he promised in 2008, something I would assume you'd applaud.
    Original Al Qaeda....LOL...would that be like Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle CLub Redwood Original?

That's like Hillary saying that we aren't going to do business with Blackwater anymore after they shot up that bazaar and killed all those women and children. Sure, we aren't doing business with "Blackwater" anymore, but that's just because they've changed their name to Academi.

AQ was just an American word for Arab "terrorists". Therefore you haven't really defeated AQ, because the Arab "terrorists" are still out there in force.

Quote Originally Posted by finance85

We are willing to bomb the heck out of ISIL, but the American public won't stand for boots on the ground. We'll do the light show if you guys supply some troops. We'll be behind you every step of the way.
    His position from early on has been we are not occupying territory in the mid-east any longer than we have too but we are going to kill terrorists who threaten us. That position is consistent and I agree with it. If local players can't or won't stand up, why should we? In his speech he spoke to Muslims to take responsibility for their own and we would support those that do.

Original AQ was and is a real organization, despite the mocking on this thread by the uninformed. They blew up the WTC, an incident they have perhaps forgotten about. The leadership is mostly dead and what's left are hiding in caves in Pakistan.

Can't help but think of John Winger in Stripes making a very similar speech.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

Quote Originally Posted by NoleGrad83

Of course you would. Others of us grew up.

Lighten up, Francis.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

Lighten up, Francis.

Sorry. Read "John Wayne" - my bad and my apology.

Thread Information