[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Seattle garbage collectors given the power to fine citizens.

Seattle garbage collectors given the power to fine citizens.

Seattle residents who fail to separate food waste from trash will be fined.

The City Council voted Monday to impose the fines for not composting.

When the ordinance goes into effect next year, homeowners found with food scraps in their trash will be fined $1 for each violation KING reported Tuesday. The fine is up to $50 for a business or apartment complex.

Seattle Public Utilities estimates that about a third to one-half of what now goes in the trash should be recycled or put in compost bins.

The new law is aimed at helping Seattle reach its goal of having a recycling rate of 60 percent by 2015. The change is expected to generate an additional 38,000 tons of compost material every year.

San Francisco also has a mandatory composting ordinance.

Currently, residents of single-family homes in Seattle are encouraged but not required to dispose of food waste and some paper products in compost bins, The Seattle Times reported. Apartment buildings must have compost bins available, but residents of apartment buildings aren't required to use them. Businesses aren't subject to any composting requirements,

Under the new rules, collectors will take a look when they dump trash into a garbage truck. If they see more than 10 percent of the trash should be composted, they'll enter the violation into a computer and leave a ticket on the bin that says expect a $1 fine on the next garbage bill.

Collectors will begin tagging garbage bins with warnings Jan. 1. Fines start until July 1.

Seattle Public Utilities asked the council to consider the ordinance because the agency is falling short of its recycling and composting goals. The council vote was 9-to-0. No public hearing was required.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...sting-25703653

Oh, good grief. What could possibly go wrong with this ridiculous plan? Do sanitation workers even know how to calculate 10%? They're really going to have people digging through the freaking garbage to try and determine if compostable mater makes up more than 10% of the entire can? Really???

This country is going to hell.

Re: Seattle garbage collectors given the power to fine citiz

I wonder how a person fights the ticket, and how due process works. The city probably counts on it being more trouble than it's worth for people to fight the tickets. Of course there will be more complaints, and the city will have to hire people to field those complaints, and it becomes a spiraling cost.

This is what the people of Seattle want. If its a boondoggle and poorly administrated there will be political momentum to repeal or amend the law.

The story says the "the people" didn't even get a public hearing before the city council voted on it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    The story says the "the people" didn't even get a public hearing before the city council voted on it.
    Don't confuse him with facts.

Does anyone contest the validity of passing the law without a public hearing? No.

Is the city counsel elected? Yes, they are.

Stop pretending this is some fascist act with possibility of changing the law through the political process.

The story says the city council was petitioned to do this by the city's utilities agency because they weren't meeting their own recycling/composting goals through voluntary measures.

Since people weren't voluntarily separating enough trash, that tells me that "the people" weren't really interested in the utility department's goals.

Then those same people will vote out the present City Counsel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    Does anyone contest the validity of passing the law without a public hearing? No.

Stop pretending this is some fascist act with possibility of changing the law through the political process.
    We don't know the answer to your first question yet. Assuming facts not in evidence.

It's easy for elected bodies to pass stuff illegally. It's harder to challenge illegal acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole

We don't know what their state constitution says about it, and we don't know what their laws at the county and city level say about it.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

if I was a member of the Seattle trash collectors Union, I would be totally opposed to this. my job is to throw the s*** away, not dig through it and determine if more than 10 percent contains food waste.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    if I was a member of the Seattle trash collectors Union, I would be totally opposed to this. my job is to throw the s*** away, not dig through it and determine if more than 10 percent contains food waste.
    That's probably one reason why it will never get done.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Thread Information