[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WaPo: White House demands editorial control over press pool

WaPo: White House demands editorial control over press pool

White House press-pool reports are supposed to be the news media’s eyes and ears on the president, an independent chronicle of his public activities. They are written by reporters for other reporters, who incorporate them into news articles about President Obama almost every day.

Sometimes, however, the White House plays an unseen role in shaping the story.

Journalists who cover the White House say Obama’s press aides have demanded — and received — changes in press-pool reports before the reports have been disseminated to other journalists. They say the White House has used its unusual role as the distributor of the reports as leverage to steer coverage in a more favorable direction.

The disputed episodes involve mostly trivial issues and minor matters of fact. But that the White House has become involved at all represents a troubling trend for journalists and has prompted their main representative, the White House Correspondents’ Association, to consider revising its approach to pool reporting.

The decades-old White House press pool was created as a practical compromise between the news media and the nation’s chief executive: Instead of having a mob of journalists jostling to cover the president at every semi-public function, a handful of reporters are designated to act as proxies, or “poolers,” for the entire press corps. Poolers are chosen on a rotating basis from among regular White House correspondents, and they typically get more favorable access to presidential events to provide coverage that is shared with other reporters.

But before a pool report lands in anyone’s inbox, pool reporters take an interim step. They send their files to the White House press office, which forwards them via e-mail to a database of thousands of recipients, including news outlets, federal agencies and congressional offices. This two-step process enables White House staffers to read the pool reports — and potentially object to them — before press aides send them to recipients.

While the overwhelming majority of pool reports pass through the White House without delay or amendment, some have been flagged by the administration’s press staff, which has demanded changes as a condition of distributing them.

When Anita Kumar of the McClatchy newspaper chain covered Obama’s appearance on “The Tonight Show” for the press pool last year, she wrote a detailed account of the taped program. Kumar thought her story would be sent to pool recipients hours before the show aired. Instead, White House press staffers objected to the length of her file, saying it violated an agreement with the program’s producers to limit advance publicity. They told Kumar to pare down her account before they would distribute it.

Kumar reluctantly complied, but the request made her uneasy. “The worry is that when you send in a pool report, the White House is reading it and approving it,” she said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...527_story.html

This should outrage everyone who cares about our Constitution, especially the media.

Re: WaPo: White House demands editorial control over press p

Are you kidding? Put the one in a bad light? Never gonna happen with the current media. No one has the balls to hold them accountable.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

This administration hasn't cared about any section of the Constitution. Why should they care about the 1st amendment?

What's funny is you guys think this is an Obama phenomena.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    Yeah, but Obama was the one who promised "change" and transparency.

[quote=The Tradition]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":4k6qlnxr
    Yeah, but Obama was the one who promised "change" and transparency.[/quote:4k6qlnxr]

Lack of more transparency is a valid critique of the Obama administration. I am disappointed in the administration for not living up better to this representation.

Change was impossible when the opposition party gathers its leaders on inauguration day and swears a blood oath not to support a single solitary bill the Dems or Obama want to pass - nor negotiate in good faith.

That one is on the GOP.

And Obama has rightly responded with executive orders to punish the GOp for becoming legislative terrorists.

Banned

Seems like NBC didn't want to get scooped by the AP before the show was aired (because it is taped during the day).

I wasn't aware this was a practice under W. Are you claiming it was?

Quote Originally Posted by finance85

I'm claiming its the practice of every administration.

As for Bush, he let a gay prostitute posing as a credentialed reporter into the press room - so he's got his own inner demons to deal with regarding the press.

Gee, I had no idea the the President personally vets reporters in the press corps (which would be a bad idea, IMHO).

Someone let the gay prostitute in the press room - a number of times.

And that person was responsible to Bush - so yeah it goes on Bush's head.

[quote=Brooklyn Nole]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":4aue5cqc

As for Bush, he let a gay prostitute posing as a credentialed reporter into the press room - so he's got his own inner demons to deal with regarding the press.[/quote:4aue5cqc]

Do you have any evidence of that, or are you just assuming it?

[quote=finance85]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":2cnrsodz

As for Bush, he let a gay prostitute posing as a credentialed reporter into the press room - so he's got his own inner demons to deal with regarding the press.
    Do you have any evidence of that, or are you just assuming it?[/quote:2cnrsodz]

From what I know from people who work in the White House it has always been like this.

[quote=Brooklyn Nole][quote=finance85]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":1g86n5ql
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":1g86n5ql

Do you have any evidence of that, or are you just assuming it?[/quote:1g86n5ql]

From what I know from people who work in the White House it has always been like this.[/quote:1g86n5ql]

Actually, as I watch CNN, the guests are saying it hasn't ever been like this. It's one thing to have an opinion, but you try to pass off hearsay as fact, when it just isn't so.

NYT Reporter: Obama Administration Is ‘Greatest Enemy of Press Freedom’
    http://dailysignal.com/2014/03/25/ny...press-freedom/
    New York Times reporter James Risen, a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner, claims the Obama administration is “the greatest enemy of press freedom that we have encountered in at least a generation.”

NY Times Editor: Obama Administration ‘Most Secretive White House’ in Recent Years
    http://dailysignal.com/2014/04/14/ny...-recent-years/
    “The Obama years are a benchmark for a new level of secrecy and control,” Abramson said in an interview with The Takeaway. “It’s created quite a challenging atmosphere for The New York Times, and for some of the best reporters in my newsroom who cover national security issues in Washington.”

Sharyl Attkisson Calls Obama Administration ‘Worst Atmosphere’ for Journalists
    http://dailysignal.com/2014/06/23/sh...e-journalists/
    “[FOIA] is 96 percent broken,” she told C-SPAN’s Brian Lamb. “I’m still waiting since 2012 for responses for Benghazi.”

[quote=finance85][quote=Brooklyn Nole]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":gygzb6qz
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":gygzb6qz

Do you have any evidence of that, or are you just assuming it?

From what I know from people who work in the White House it has always been like this.[/quote:gygzb6qz]

Actually, as I watch CNN, the guests are saying it hasn't ever been like this. It's one thing to have an opinion, but you try to pass off hearsay as fact, when it just isn't so.[/quote:gygzb6qz]

Its SOP for brook. I hope this doesn't shock you.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

Brooklyn only shocks me when he owns up to his mistakes, which actually does happen once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM58

http://www.bigdelivery.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31&dateline=142444635  1

Thread Information