[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feds move to make ATVs more dangerous for passengers

Feds move to make ATVs more dangerous for passengers

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is considering new rules that would prohibit passengers from being carried on all-terrain vehicles, better known as ATVs or four-wheelers.

The rules would address growing safety concerns the CPSC has with ATVs.

The CPSC noted it has regulated ATVs since the 1980s, but to no avail as the number of deaths and injuries resulting from accidents involving the off-road vehicles continues to rise.
    "Despite these activities, ATV-related fatalities continue to be one of the largest categories of consumer product-related deaths," the agency wrote in the Federal Register.

The CPSC is issuing a request for information as it considers whether to propose new rules. The agency said it is particularly interested in preventing passengers from riding on ATVs.

A study from the CPSC found that passengers account for about 25 percent of ATV-related injuries and 10 percent of deaths.

The CPSC is trying to determine how often passengers ride on ATVs, and how the agency can prevent them from being injured or killed.

This could include changes to the design of ATVs making it difficult for passengers to ride along, the agency noted.

http://thehill.com/regulation/218508...njuries-deaths

Yeah, making it MORE dangerous for passengers to ride along. That's the ticket!

What a bunch of moronic busybodies.

Re: Feds move to make ATVs more dangerous for passengers

Everyone in my house has there own atv. That includes my 5 year old daughter my 7 year old son my wife and myself.

It is funny when people are trained on how to properly operate an atv that those people never have these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is considering new rules that would prohibit passengers from being carried on all-terrain vehicles, better known as ATVs or four-wheelers.

The rules would address growing safety concerns the CPSC has with ATVs.

The CPSC noted it has regulated ATVs since the 1980s, but to no avail as the number of deaths and injuries resulting from accidents involving the off-road vehicles continues to rise.
    "Despite these activities, ATV-related fatalities continue to be one of the largest categories of consumer product-related deaths," the agency wrote in the Federal Register.

The CPSC is issuing a request for information as it considers whether to propose new rules. The agency said it is particularly interested in preventing passengers from riding on ATVs.

A study from the CPSC found that passengers account for about 25 percent of ATV-related injuries and 10 percent of deaths.

The CPSC is trying to determine how often passengers ride on ATVs, and how the agency can prevent them from being injured or killed.

This could include changes to the design of ATVs making it difficult for passengers to ride along, the agency noted.

http://thehill.com/regulation/218508...njuries-deaths

Yeah, making it MORE dangerous for passengers to ride along. That's the ticket!

What a bunch of moronic busybodies.
    How does preventing passengers from riding ATVs make them more dangerous?

because people are going to find a way to ride the damn things, so making it more difficult is just going to result in more injuries and deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep
    Everyone in my house has there own atv. That includes my 5 year old daughter my 7 year old son my wife and myself.

It is funny when people are trained on how to properly operate an atv that those people never have these issues.
    My cousin broke his pelvis and ripped one of his balls off flipping over the handlebars of his four wheeler. He had been riding them most his life. Also the article clearly cites the dangers of ATVs.

so what?

[quote=Huey Grey]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":ie3h24a5

My cousin broke his pelvis and ripped one of his balls off flipping over the handlebars of his four wheeler. He had been riding them most his life. Also the article clearly cites the dangers of ATVs.[/quote:ie3h24a5]

Everything in life carries a risk. It shouldn't be government's job to protect people from themselves.

[quote=finance85]
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey Grey
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":2ew0qmyj

My cousin broke his pelvis and ripped one of his balls off flipping over the handlebars of his four wheeler. He had been riding them most his life. Also the article clearly cites the dangers of ATVs.
    Everything in life carries a risk. It shouldn't be government's job to protect people from themselves.[/quote:2ew0qmyj]
    You don't think it's part of the government's job to protect consumers from dangerous products?

[quote=Huey Grey][quote=finance85]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Huey Grey":3o1ltqjt
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":3o1ltqjt

Everything in life carries a risk. It shouldn't be government's job to protect people from themselves.[/quote:3o1ltqjt]
    You don't think it's part of the government's job to protect consumers from dangerous products?[/quote:3o1ltqjt]

No.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

The products aren't dangerous if used properly. There are already warnings about carrying passengers. Making it more difficult to carry passengers will only encourage passengers to engage in even riskier behavior to defeat the design changes mandated by the government.

Rinse and repeat.

[quote=NoleSoup4U][quote=Huey Grey]
    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    Quote Originally Posted by "Huey Grey":b1643aym
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":b1643aym

Everything in life carries a risk. It shouldn't be government's job to protect people from themselves.
    You don't think it's part of the government's job to protect consumers from dangerous products?[/quote:b1643aym]

No.[/quote:b1643aym]
    Well I guess you and I disagree there.

[quote=Huey Grey][quote=NoleSoup4U][quote="Huey Grey":gp7zv3bs]
    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    Quote Originally Posted by "Huey Grey":gp7zv3bs
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":gp7zv3bs

You don't think it's part of the government's job to protect consumers from dangerous products?[/quote:gp7zv3bs]

No.[/quote:gp7zv3bs]
    Well I guess you and I disagree there.[/quote:gp7zv3bs]

I think threats of lawsuits would work much better than government regulations.

Fact is that ATV drivers, who get into accidents, are largely irresponsible drivers. 87% didn't wear helmets. And worse, 43% were legally drunk. So making it easier to take a passenger along for these rides makes little sense. All it does is to encourage drivers to give joy rides to others at great risk for both parties.

Fact is that ATV drivers, who get into accidents, are largely irresponsible drivers. 87% didn't wear helmets. And worse, 43% were legally drunk. So making it easier to take a passenger along for these rides makes little sense. All it does is to encourage drivers to give joy rides to others at great risk for both parties.
    And again, so what? Sounds like evolution at work, to me.

That just sounds like chlorine in the gene pool. Government regulations aren't going to stop that kind of thing anyway.

In any case, that behavior not a "design flaw" with the ATVs thus giving the CPSC jurisdiction to require design changes. Once again, we have an executive agency overstepping its authority.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    In any case, that behavior not a "design flaw" with the ATVs thus giving the CPSC jurisdiction to require design changes. Once again, we have an executive agency overstepping its authority.
    Of course it is. ATVs are largely not designed for passengers. They upset the weight distribution of the vehicle making them easier to roll over. So encouraging people to take on passengers, by making it easier for them to ride, makes little sense.

If you have a common misuse of a product, that is possibly encouraged by the design of the product, then the CPSC most definitely has jurisdiction. Otherwise one could argue that things like childproof caps on drug bottles are not in the jurisdiction of consumer protection. The manufacturer may not have intended their product to be a high safety risk, but that risk still exists nonetheless. So the CPSC has the authority to protect the consumer.

The only way you'd "design out" the ability to take on a passenger would be to eliminate the cargo rack (something that would eliminate the entire purpose of many ATV designs). You'd also have to make the seat shorter (so even two skinny people can't ride like a motorcycle). Not sure how that might effect vehicle stability. Finally, what's to stop people from riding on the handlebars? You gonna remove the handlebars?

The CPSC needs to back away from this and find something that's a truly dangerous design when the product is used as intended.

[quote=Huey Grey][quote=finance85]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Huey Grey":3gayth19
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":3gayth19

Everything in life carries a risk. It shouldn't be government's job to protect people from themselves.[/quote:3gayth19]
    You don't think it's part of the government's job to protect consumers from dangerous products?[/quote:3gayth19]

No, not as long as the product is safe if used properly. Everything is dangerous if it's not used or consumed properly. I don't believe in the nanny state or protecting people from themselves.

Thread Information