[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sean Maguire's Father Sticks Up For Jameis Winston

Sean Maguire's Father Sticks Up For Jameis Winston

Florida State backup quarterback Sean Maguire filled in for Jameis Winston on Saturday, after Winston was suspended one game for making "offensive and vulgar" comments at the student union. Following the suspension, plenty of judgment was passed around regarding his character and maturity, but Kevin Maguire -- Sean's father -- had nothing but good things to say about Winston.

"Everybody can say what they want about Jameis in the media and stuff," Maguire's father told Natalie Pierre, of the Tallahassee Democrat. "My whole family, we have nothing but the utmost respect for what he did for Sean (last) week. From Wednesday on, he prepped Sean and was by his side the whole entire time. Another class act, after the game he went up to Sean and he goes, 'I want to meet your parents.' We were in the locker room and that kid came up to us -- and he didn't have to -- shook my hand, gave my wife a hug and said, 'Congratulations, this kid did a great job, and enjoy the moment.'"

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Sean-Maguires ... n-31392721

Re: Sean Maguire's Father Sticks Up For Jameis Winston

We need more of these types of stories!

Jeep, you seem really personally invested in Winston.

Jeep, We don't get to focus on it any more because the media has made up its mind about him (and he is helping them out), but there is a wonderful side to Jameis. From the stories Jeff Cameron tells he is absolutely fantastic with kids....you see it over and over again. Like Tebow said, he has an infectious personality, and when he channels it in good ways and not bad, he could be an incredible positive influence in the world. BTW for those on this site who don't know the story, he worked with Sean from roughly 8:00 PM at night to 11:00 PM Wednesday, Thursday and Friday studying film and trying to get Sean as ready as possible for his big showcase. Nice, storybook ending for Sean and his family. I hope it makes him all the more determined to work like a dog and win that job and be the man after JW moves on.

We can be pretty tough on JW but it's tough love

;)

I am an FSU booster and I am personally invested in the team I support.

Unlike some people I can see the good in people.

I also saw what happened and what was said after FSU won without Winston. The national media is now of the opinion that the suspension was only punishment had FSU lost. Well FSU won in spite of Winston being suspended. FSU could have suspended Winston for 4 games and there still would be people who are not happy.

Winston did the crime, and now has done his time. It is time for people to move on.

But you seem to be more invested in Winston, who continues to embarrass FSU, than in FSU, itself.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep

I also saw what happened and what was said after FSU won without Winston. The national media is now of the opinion that the suspension was only punishment had FSU lost. Well FSU won in spite of Winston being suspended. FSU could have suspended Winston for 4 games and there still would be people who are not happy.

Winston did the crime, and now has done his time. It is time for people to move on.

Didn't Johnny Football get arrested three times?

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    But you seem to be more invested in Winston, who continues to embarrass FSU, than in FSU, itself.
    FSU has done enough in helping it's self be embarrassed over all of this. Jameis has been punished for the things he has done. That was all FSU was responsible to do. He probably has had more punishment from the coaches which usually is not made public.

I am sure by the millions Winston has cost himself he is plenty embarrassed right now for himself.

People like yourself UCLA seem to think the only way to make this right is for FSU to kick Winston out of school, people with that mentality should believe in the death penalty and criminals should never be allowed to be out on parole.

Jameis Winston has still as of today yet to be arrested for a single thing. If the things he has done were so bad don't you think at some point he would have been arrested for something? If you think TPD gives free passes to the players are FSU you are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog
    Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep

Didn't Johnny Football get arrested three times?
    That is correct.

Nice story about JW and McQuire's parents.

When I first saw him on TV early last year, I begrudgingly thought he seemed like a good kid with a great personality. Hard to explain his other stunts - especially this last one - and I'm not among those who think I know what happened back in 12/2012, or ever will. The other women who reported a disturbing incident with him is also not reassuring. I'll chalk it up to people being complex and not easily understandable.

I don't know if Winstom should be expelled. I will wait for the outcome of his sexual misconduct investigation to form an opinion.

I definitely oppose the death penalty, and I think it's odd to compare being expelled from school with being executed.

I agree that FSU continues to embarrass itself. The bungling of the initial investigation was atrocious. My best friend and his wife, who hold five FSU degrees between them, won't even acknowledge the school in public at this point. It's really sad. I have not felt this pessimistic about the university's future since TKW was named president.

I wish there was more context to this latest incident. If everyone was quietly eating lunch when this "vulgar outburst" was yelled, that would be one thing. But somehow, I doubt that was what was going on at the time...

I don't know if Winstom should be expelled. I will wait for the outcome of his sexual misconduct investigation to form an opinion.

I definitely oppose the death penalty, and I think it's odd to compare being expelled from school with being executed.

I agree that FSU continues to embarrass itself. The bungling of the initial investigation was atrocious. My best friend and his wife, who hold five FSU degrees between them, won't even acknowledge the school in public at this point. It's really sad. I have not felt this pessimistic about the university's future since TKW was named president.

Liberals seem to enjoy self-loathing for some reason. Never really understood that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    I wish there was more context to this latest incident. If everyone was quietly eating lunch when this "vulgar outburst" was yelled, that would be one thing. But somehow, I doubt that was what was going on at the time...
    The real story is, it was between classes at HCB (Classroom Building) a few hundred yards from the Student Union. He was with a group of his friends on the stairs. Someone over heard him saying what the MEME said, it was not a public shout out like was tweeted.

He told the University that it didn't happen on a table or at the Union. The students that tweeted it was never questioned, they used him as saying it didn't happen in the Union or on the table as proof of him lying.

That is as much as I know right now. But I do also know there are Security cameras both in HCB where this happened and in the Union. No video's have been made public and no news crew has came forward with them as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition

Liberals seem to enjoy self-loathing for some reason. Never really understood that.
    There's no self-loathing happening. Just a lot of loathing of the FSU administration and football culture.

why do you give more weight to the school's investigation than to the state attorney's investigation? Who is conducting the investigation? What training, experience and/or education does this person have with similar investigations? What are the rules of evidence at the school's hearing?

Honestly, of the things that have embarrassed me about the university lately Wintson doesn't hit the top 5.
    King Jackass

I have my FSU degree up on my wall at work. I am a tenure-track assistant professor at UF. I am not embarrassed by FSU. At this point, we have a lot of noise in the media, quotes from lawyers on contingency, and deflecting statements from FSU. There are 55 universities under investigation for title IX issues (a law, that in parts, I do not support nor do I believe it to be legitimate a path toward justice). FSU is one of them. We, at present, do not know if FSU has mishandled anything with respect to title IX. I think FSU has handled some things poorly with respect to PR. I don't think the FSU is a big football town in the sense that the title IX attorney's have characterized. I don't think that FSU, the state attorney, the TPD and the governor conspired to protect a third string QB as the Tampa gator grad attorney alleged. That's the OJ defense, employed as an offensive strategy. I'm not the type to jump at conspiracy theories without data. The most parsimonious story to me is this:

- FSU is a very good football team right now.
    - Winston is a great QB
    - Winston was accused of rape
    - Winston was not charged
    - Obvious story is obvious (FSU is a very good football team and Winston is a great QB thus Winston must not have been charges because of those factors).
    - However, obvious story is historically inconsistent with FSU's behaviors and the State Attorney's behaviors in the past.
    - Given that the girl had multiple stories as indicated in her police/state attorney statements. And, the attorney's report has been in conflict with the TPD and state attorney repeatedly, I have seen zero reason to believe anything coming from that camp.
    - The rape allegation drummed up a lot of noise against winston and increased scrutiny to epic levels. Aside from the crab legs, I'm not sure any of the "incidents" would have made any waves in the public.
    - I see no reason to vilify FSU at present. I am not embarrassed by FSU. That could change given data to support some of the more egregious things that have been alleged. But, at present, I have no problem with FSU.
    - I do, however, have a problem with the media and the poor thought process behind their stories and reporting.
    - FSU and Winston are caught up in a larger tapestry of political agendas regarding sexual assault and domestic violence. I don't think that appears to be justified. The narrative could just as easily be White sorority girl accuses black athlete of rape, tells multiple different stories, forensic data inconsistent with all, her witnesses inconsistent, two black athletes witness reports disregarded and media and large swaths of inbred college football fans refer to Winston as "Rapist." Racism in America today. Progressive liberals coming down on Winston and FSU are confused in my opinion.
    - Of course, my opinion could change. Others could come out and accuse Winston of rape and then you might start to believe in a pattern. That hasn't happened. I am sure the media et al have been searching very hard for it. I know there is a report of another girl who didn't feel good about an encounter. I do think Winston engaging in one night stands is risky behavior and I am not surprised that women don't feel good about such encounters. Depending on the number of such encounters, this doesn't alarm me either.

Take the fact that Winston dressed out. So. Did he play? No What is a suspension? Don't play. Is it normal for suspended players to dress out? Yes. People are looking for a narrative to portray FSU in a bad light because it goes along nicely with the scandal. Scandal sells advertising. That's not a conspiracy.

Anyway, until I see reason to hang my head in shame, at least as far as how FSU handles title IX, women's rights and the balance of the so called football culture, go noles! Academically, there are some great steps that have been recently taken (medical school being a big one). I am curious to see where the presidential search goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fijimn
    why do you give more weight to the school's investigation than to the state attorney's investigation? Who is conducting the investigation? What training, experience and/or education does this person have with similar investigations? What are the rules of evidence at the school's hearing?
    Thanks........he needs the bar set so low that it touches the ground so as to feed his insatiable desire for social justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fijimn

The school makes the determination regarding whether he is expelled, not the state attorney. It's that simple.

Thread Information