[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: I May Have Stumbled on the Dumbest Fed Reg

I May Have Stumbled on the Dumbest Fed Reg

My family uses the Healthcare FSA account. I usually stash away the max or close to it. The whole use it or lose it rule is insane in the first part, but this really takes the cake. Before the Obamacare, you could purchase OTC medicines and drugs. Post-Obamacare you have to have a prescriptiong for most OTC, like asprin, gas relief, adult multivitamins (but not multivitamins with minerals). Who the hell has ever heard of getting a prescription for vitamins/asprines. And you are not talking about a lot of money, but I guess people were hoarding up at the end of the year and they are trying to stop that -- but as the government never realizes, it's our f-in money, if I want to buy a case of Midol, then I should be allowed to....

Re: I May Have Stumbled on the Dumbest Fed Reg

The feds want your money, don-cha-know.

The authors of Obamacare desire to eliminate this deal, because it only benefits people who earn money (i.e., people who want the pretax break).

Conceptually, the Healthcare FSA program is a really good idea. Most people do not spend enough on medical care in a year to qualify for the deduction. But it doesn't take a lot to spend 2 grand in routine medical expenses like dental, eye car, co-pays, prescriptions, etc.

I think that FSA is great idea.
    It discourages bad behavior in terms of wasteful spending while encourages good behavior by incentivizing the consumer to educate themselves to reduce costs. The drawbacks are that it requires disposable or allocated income which poor people do not have an abundance of...hence the reason liberals oppose it. In this case, I support subsidies for low income persons as long as they contribute something, otherwise it would continue to encourage wasteful spending.
    For the left the cause is always more important than the people who suffer for it.

The bigger fool than the fellow who knows it all is the one who'll argue with him.

Quote Originally Posted by LauderdaleNole
    It discourages bad behavior in terms of wasteful spending while encourages good behavior by incentivizing the consumer to educate themselves to reduce costs. The drawbacks are that it requires disposable or allocated income which poor people do not have an abundance of...hence the reason liberals oppose it. In this case, I support subsidies for low income persons as long as they contribute something, otherwise it would continue to encourage wasteful spending.
    I also encourages wasteful spending because people have to spend everything at the end of year, whether they need to spend or not. But I get your point.

And an impartial person just might get the impression that the feds make this as convoluted and difficult as possible.
    Just a puppy kicking, children starving, grandma shoving, kitten throwing, evil, vile, nasty, disgusting, racist, sexist, bigot.....or so I've been told. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ912
    Quote Originally Posted by LauderdaleNole
    I also encourages wasteful spending because people have to spend everything at the end of year, whether they need to spend or not. But I get your point.

And an impartial person just might get the impression that the feds make this as convoluted and difficult as possible.
    Good point I should have specified that I support eliminating this yearly use it or lose it rule. Make it available forever. That way it can accumulate for years when you're young and healthy and still available when you need it most.
    For the left the cause is always more important than the people who suffer for it.

The bigger fool than the fellow who knows it all is the one who'll argue with him.

that's called a Health Savings Account and under current rules can only be offered if the employee is also on a high deductible health insurance plan

Thread Information