[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: The Speech Police are at it again....Top Gear

The Speech Police are at it again....Top Gear

If you don't watch Top Gear and understand British humor, this won't mean much to you. Top Gear is a BBC show about motorized vehicles. Its popularity among auto enthusiasts is so high a similar show was spun up here in the states (no where near as successful).

Three "presenters"....Richard Hammond, James May, and Jeremy Clarkson put on a hour + show that reviews all kinds of cool cars and does some "interesting" things along the way . Despite being British, I'd say they are what is left on TV that you can watch and relate to without the politically correct bull****. I wouldn't call it a reality show, some of it is scripted, but its the closest thing to just general "guy talk" you will find on TV today. They dare bring up the things that you just can't talk about on TV here in the states.

And yes, Clarkson tends to piss off the thought police and PC pricks.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/05/j...warning-nword/

Jeremy Clarkson's latest scandal is turning out to be a bit more serious than his past errors, if his latest column in The Sun is to be believed. Clarkson has been in the headlines following the reveal of a Top Gear outtake, in which the 54-year-old presenter appears to (sort of) mumble the N-word.

This issue, along with the "slope" controversy from the end of March, is apparently about as much as the BBC can bear. According to Clarkson, if he makes "one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time," the BBC will fire him, a fate he appears to have resigned himself to.

"It's inevitable that one day, someone, somewhere will say that I've offended them, and that will be that," Clarkson wrote.

"I use the F-word pretty much constantly and the C-word (clearly, the C-word is viewed very differently in the UK...) too, especially when I'm talking about James May. But the N-word. No. It's not in my lexicon," Clarkson wrote.

Now, we still aren't really sure what Clarkson said - the video uncovered by The Daily Mirror isn't anywhere near conclusive. Even the speech forensics expert hired by the tabloid was unsure, admitting to a British talk radio station she was only 75-percent certain that the N-word was said, according to BBC News.

"Isn't that what a court of law would consider grounds for acquittal on the basis of 'reasonable doubt'?" Clarkson wrote. That does seem like a pretty fair point, and reinforcement of what many of you thought when watching the video. It's just too difficult to know exactly what he said.

Even with Clarkson's well known (and some might argue, overused) sense of hyperbole, it's fairly clear that the curmudgeonly presenter remains in the hottest of waters following this latest episode.

Re: The Speech Police are at it again....Top Gear

It would be nice if everyone everywhere wasn't trying to police everything all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep
    It would be nice if everyone everywhere wasn't trying to police everything all the time.
    I agree. Getting offended by words is a personal weakness in my mind. That being said, there are a bunch of mentally soft people out there and they have a hard time with words. It isn't really hard not to say these words. I live my life every day and I don't say them. It doesn't take much effort, and you have to realize, at this point, that this sort of thing is going to be scrutinized. So, if you don't want to take the heat, then just don't say the words.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Banned

You do not have the right to NOT be offended. This is the problem here in the US. People think if something offends them, they should Ban it.

Pure horsesqueeze

Here's the thing, nobody is getting arrested for saying it...at least not yet. So free speech still applies. The problem with free speech is that it doesn't protect you from the backlash of society. This is the market telling the guys from Top Gear that they will not support someone who uses these words.

Quote Originally Posted by NoleSoup4U
    Here's the thing, nobody is getting arrested for saying it...at least not yet. So free speech still applies. The problem with free speech is that it doesn't protect you from the backlash of society. This is the market telling the guys from Top Gear that they will not support someone who uses these words.

Its not the market, it's the BBC.

Odd, it's the BBC's most successful show.

Humans will always police themselves. Humans who refuse to adhere to community standards will always be subject to criticism and punishment.

Personally, I would prefer that our community take a more harsh stance on not only hateful language, but also vulgar language.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    Humans will always police themselves. Humans who refuse to adhere to community standards will always be subject to criticism and punishment.

Personally, I would prefer that our community take a more harsh stance on not only hateful language, but also vulgar language.
    I would just prefer society start dealing with all the double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA

I would just prefer society start dealing with all the double standards.

Clarkson races Michelle Jenneke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKm160Qcnqs#t=136

For those of you who can't put the name to a face.....this pic will help

Quote Originally Posted by Nifster
    Quote Originally Posted by NoleSoup4U

Its not the market, it's the BBC.

Odd, it's the BBC's most successful show.
    It is the market. The market is the people who watch it and the people who support is via commercialization.

How are y'all just hearing about this now? They sent up the "oppressed white man" signal back in May when this first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchasVeces
    How are y'all just hearing about this now? They sent up the "oppressed white man" signal back in May when this first came out.
    I remember when this first happened. One of my "free market" buddies was all kinds of pissed off, like these "free market" guys here. I had to remind him what the market really was as well.

He's accused of using racial slurs, and I don't view the backlash as political correctness. I also don't consider such slurs - if he used them - as "guy talk."

Once again when you ride the lighting like this guy has with prior statements the margin of error is razor thin.

This guy helped make himself a living with his sharp tongue and now he will live under closer scrutiny because of it.

He has no one to blame but himself for being under the level of scrutiny he is now subject to.

Thread Information