[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Cookware

Red face Cookware

So it is getting time to buy new cookware in our house. We have been using a R Ray set for the last 6 years liked them ok but they started chipping.

Anyone bought any recently that they would like to recommend? I have only read bad things about the ceramic coated ones.

Re: Cookware

Stay away from Temp-tations. Way too fragile for something that's alleged to be "ovenware".

First of all, don't buy a "set." Those are for show and for wasting money. The pans that will get the job done day in and day out look nothing alike and certainly would never be found in a set.

I have an pre-WWII Griswold Cast Iron Skillet 8in. Pre-war cast iron pans are far superior to everything made after the war. Post war cast iron is light years better than the cast iron junk in stores today. I also have a 5in Griswold Cast Iron but it doesn't get much use.

I have a Le Cruset Dutch Oven
    http://www.lecreuset.com/7-1-4-qt-round-french-oven

I have a Le Cruset Sauce Pan
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/le-creuse ... 986?a=1552

I have an 11 inch Stainless Steel skillet
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... h-skillet/

I also have a deep stock pot with a double bottom for making large batches of soups and chili. I have an oval Le Cruset dutch oven for cooking whole chickens and to make that loaf of bread from the NYT recipe. It is nice but it isn't a must have.

TC knows what he speaks of here..

Why do people need matching pots and pans anyway?

Why do people buy stuff with the chef du jour's name on it? It won't help you cook like that chef. I can also almost guarantee that the sponsoring chef is cooking on something else.

Spend your money on quality cookware and you won't have to replace it every six years.

We have a set of copper-bottom stainless steel pots and pans that we got from a warehouse club. Heavy, good stuff with glass tops. We have a pot rack in the kitchen so the cookware is also decoration and needs to look consistent/attractive.

All-Clad d5 stainless for me. They're hidden in a cabinet except when in use.

We have essentially the same setup as TC.

I am checking out TC's setup as well. Probably going to go that route.

Let me know if you are going to go the pre-war skillet route and I'll post some articles that discuss how to identify pans, re-seasoning and care.

I just stripped a (crappy Emerilware gift) 9" skillet and am now seasoning it with flaxseed oil. I'm interested to see if it lives up to the hype

Thread Information