[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Spoke too soon: Biden scored the gaffe hat trick last week.

Spoke too soon: Biden scored the gaffe hat trick last week.

Vice President Biden on Wednesday referred to parts of Asia as "the Orient" during a speech in Iowa, only hours after apologizing for a separate gaffe.

Biden was telling a story about meeting with the former prime minister of Singapore.

"You know on the way back from Mumbai to go meet with President Xi [Jinping] in China, I stopped in Singapore to meet with a guy named Lee Kuan Yew, who most foreign policy experts around the world say is the wisest man in the Orient," Biden said.

The term “Orient” is considered by some an offensive way of describing Asia. Merriam-Webster describes it as an archaic term for the East.

The vice president, who often misspeaks, apologized earlier Wednesday for using the term "shylocks" earlier this week.

Biden called it a “poor choice of words” and said a top Jewish group was “right” to criticize him for the remark.

Republicans were quick to attack Biden.

In a tweet, the Republican National Committee said Biden's "callous remarks are offensive to Asian-Americans & our Asian allies. His comments embarrass our country."

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...-as-the-orient

One heartbeat away... :roll:

Re: Biden scores two "foot in mouth" moments in the same wee

How can you not like that guy?

And how about the other side never missing an opportunity, no matter how trivial, to make a political point about it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    And how about the other side never missing an opportunity, no matter how trivial, to make a political point about it?

Can you spell Potato?

Yes I can. Did I somehow imply Democrats don't do this very thing?

Yes I can. Did I somehow imply Democrats don't do this very thing?
    Well......... you did sort of open the door when you mentioned the other side.

First there was the controversy when Vice President Biden used the pejorative “shylocks” during a Tuesday speech. He ended up apologizing to the Anti-Defamation League for using a word derived from Shakespeare’s stereotypically offensive Jewish money-lender character in “The Merchant of Venice.”

Then on Wednesday in another public appearance Biden talked about “the Orient” when referring to former Singapore Prime Minister Lee Kwan Yew. Some Asians see that as demeaning – an old-time, mystery-of-the-Far-East phrase that belittles their continent.

And on Friday came gaffe number three. As a means of illustrating how the Republican Party has in his eyes moved to the right and become more intransigent, he discussed former GOP senators who in their day worked across the aisle to get important legislative work done. One he mentioned was former Maryland Sen. Charles “Mac” Mathias. Then Biden threw in “Packwood” – former Oregon Sen. Bob Packwood.

Senator Packwood resigned under pressure in 1995 due to the emergence of multiple, highly detailed allegations of sexual harassment and assault against women. He might well have been expelled if he had not quit first – the Senate Ethics Committee had already recommended that he be kicked out.

Did we say that the conference at which Biden referred positively to Packwood was a Democratic Women’s Leadership forum?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...-say-now-video

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    And on Friday came gaffe number three. As a means of illustrating how the Republican Party has in his eyes moved to the right and become more intransigent, he discussed former GOP senators who in their day worked across the aisle to get important legislative work done. One he mentioned was former Maryland Sen. Charles “Mac” Mathias. Then Biden threw in “Packwood” – former Oregon Sen. Bob Packwood.

Senator Packwood resigned under pressure in 1995 due to the emergence of multiple, highly detailed allegations of sexual harassment and assault against women. He might well have been expelled if he had not quit first – the Senate Ethics Committee had already recommended that he be kicked out.

Did we say that the conference at which Biden referred positively to Packwood was a Democratic Women’s Leadership forum?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...-say-now-video
    It's stunning how much the media covers up for this idiot. If Biden were running for governor of Virginia with the letter "R" behind his name, he would be hounded for months just on this one item alone....
    Just a puppy kicking, children starving, grandma shoving, kitten throwing, evil, vile, nasty, disgusting, racist, sexist, bigot.....or so I've been told. :)

How can you not like that guy?
    Because he supported the loss of my habeas corpus.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Banned

Re: Spoke too soon: Biden scored the gaffe hat trick last we

Re: Spoke too soon: Biden scored the gaffe hat trick last we

Still not getting why "some Asians" find orient objectionable. Some people need to get a life and be less sensitive. With all of the real issues and real insults that are out there against different groups i believe that these touchy feelys need to grow a pair and stop focusing on the minuscule issues.

People are always going to hate certain groups and we should recognize them and move on. Not try to label everyone who uses a term of the day but means no slander.

But Biden is an idiot. He gave the commencement at my kid's grad. this past May and it was embarrassing. Terrible speaker he is. What's worse is that he can't or won't even hire a decent writer.

Thread Information