[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun owners, is safe gun ownership really that hard?

Gun owners, is safe gun ownership really that hard?

I mean, if you make an effort?

I was on google trying to find a story I heard on the radio today. Some guy in the Tallahassee area accidentally shot his sister dead yesterday. From bits and pieces, I knew that the woman was 39 and her daughter was 23. I was googling b/c I wanted to know the age of the brother who caused the shooting (supposedly he was reenacting a scene from the movie Tombstone, twirling his pistol around on his thumb, when it dropped to the floor and discharged, shooting his sister fatally in the neck. Sounds like a crazy fluke accident to have hit her where it did, but will a pistol go off like that if the safety is on?

What struck me though, is how many other stories showed up on google. I could not find the story I wanted, but plenty of others came up. It seems like siblings and other relatives and friends are just out there accidentally shooting each other dead left and right. I guess it’s nationwide, but still, seems to happen with crazy frequency, though more often with young children, kids. Is it not relatively easy to lock up your gun so that kids can’t get into it? Or maybe you tell the kids so they can use it in an emergency, and then they play with it / show it off to friends. But some of the stories were about really young children…….I don’t think any sane person is telling a child below elementary school age where to get their gun in an emergency. Just seems nuts to even allow this to be a possibility for your 3 year old to shoot your 2 year old.

Re: Gun owners, is safe gun ownership really that hard?

The really young kid shootings occur because people leave their guns laying around. It's criminal child neglect in most states.

When you have 300 million guns in this country, you're bound to have guns in the hands of some who have no respect for how to safely use them.

Why do you hate 'Merica?
    King Jackass

Lots of dead bodies is the price of freedom - especially in the minds of the Cult of Jesus members.

Peace thru strength - and if 1000's of innocents get accidentally slaughtered then too F'n bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Grey
    When you have 300 million guns in this country, you're bound to have guns in the hands of some who have no respect for how to safely use them.

gotta be more than that because I have more than half a dozen myself. Not everyone is trained, not everyone treats all weapons as loaded even when unloaded, not all people refuse to handle firearms while drinking, etc

Finally, SH_ T happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    Lots of dead bodies is the price of freedom - especially in the minds of the Cult of Jesus members.

Peace thru strength - and if 1000's of innocents get accidentally slaughtered then too F'n bad.
    That's horsepatooey. Show me the last shooting incident done by a Christian.....

The world is full of dangers. Cars, dogs, swimming pools, bicycles... I don't know how anyone grows up.

How else are we to guard against the tyranny of government? Or the tyranny of Chipotle??

Banned

Posting again for the Little Brookie

Click on the Plus + to enlarge the image ;)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    The world is full of dangers. Cars, dogs, swimming pools, bicycles, NFL football players... I don't know how anyone grows up.

FTFY

Yes, Brooklyn, freedom comes with responsibility, whether it be automobiles, chainsaws, knives, or guns. Liberals love to think they are doing people a favor by protecting people from themselves. Just like so many other good intentions, it's not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Spearchucker87
    I mean, if you make an effort?

I was on google trying to find a story I heard on the radio today. Some guy in the Tallahassee area accidentally shot his sister dead yesterday. From bits and pieces, I knew that the woman was 39 and her daughter was 23. I was googling b/c I wanted to know the age of the brother who caused the shooting (supposedly he was reenacting a scene from the movie Tombstone, twirling his pistol around on his thumb, when it dropped to the floor and discharged, shooting his sister fatally in the neck. Sounds like a crazy fluke accident to have hit her where it did, but will a pistol go off like that if the safety is on?

What struck me though, is how many other stories showed up on google. I could not find the story I wanted, but plenty of others came up. It seems like siblings and other relatives and friends are just out there accidentally shooting each other dead left and right. I guess it’s nationwide, but still, seems to happen with crazy frequency, though more often with young children, kids. Is it not relatively easy to lock up your gun so that kids can’t get into it? Or maybe you tell the kids so they can use it in an emergency, and then they play with it / show it off to friends. But some of the stories were about really young children…….I don’t think any sane person is telling a child below elementary school age where to get their gun in an emergency. Just seems nuts to even allow this to be a possibility for your 3 year old to shoot your 2 year old.

Here is the link.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Bi...275196361.html

Thanks for the link Jeep...........horrible story.

The really young kid shootings occur because people leave their guns laying around. It's criminal child neglect in most states.
    Kind of what I figured (along with the other comments on responsible gun ownership, like Pace's list).

When I saw all those child shooting stories pop up, I couldn't help but throw the question out just wondering If I was missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    Yes, Brooklyn, freedom comes with responsibility, whether it be automobiles, chainsaws, knives, or guns. Liberals love to think they are doing people a favor by protecting people from themselves. Just like so many other good intentions, it's not possible.

Really - tell me about all the gun deaths in European countries.

Why does government feel the need to legislate behavior?
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

Because that is what government does.

You prefer anarchy I assume.

I prefer accountability but that is sadly lacking among many, apparently including yourself.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

Quote Originally Posted by NoleGrad83

I prefer accountability but that is sadly lacking among many, apparently including yourself.

Accountability has nothing to do with whether you believe government can regulate behavior and if they can and under what circumstances.

Care to address the point?

Regulate behavior? Sure. Especially when it harms others.

Regulate the right to own a gun and bear a gun? No... that's an enumerated right.

Thread Information