[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Federal court okays Wisconsin voter ID law

Federal court okays Wisconsin voter ID law

The State of Wisconsin can enforce a new voter identification law in this November's election, a federal appeals court said Friday.

After hearing arguments on the issue earlier in the day, a three-judge panel of the 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals unanimously stayed a district court judge's order blocking enforcement of the new Wisconsin law or any similar measure imposing new voter identification requirements.

"Having read the briefs and heard oral argument, this court now stays the injunction issued by the district court. The State of Wisconsin may, if it wishes (and if it is appropriate under rules of state law), enforce the photo ID requirement in this Novemberís elections," the appeals court wrote in a order released Friday afternoon (and posted here). "The district court held the state law invalid, and enjoined its implementation, even though it is materially identical to Indianaís photo ID statute, which the Supreme Court held valid in Crawford v. Marion County Election Board" in 2008, the 7th Circuit added.

The state had asked the appeals court to lift the district judge's order, arguing that it was overbroad. Civil rights groups challenging the measure could ask for relief from the full bench of the 7th Circuit or from the U.S. Supreme Court.

The appeals court said Friday that a Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling in July narrowed the new law in ways that made it less likely to have a negative impact on minorities. "This reduces the likelihood of irreparable injury, and it also changes the balance of equities and thus the propriety of federal injunctive relief," the 7th Circuit wrote.

The move is also a rebuff to the the Obama Administration, which filed an amicus brief in July urging the appeals court to uphold the lower' court's ruling.

Technically, the appeals court panel did not decide the case Friday, but simply stayed the lower court's order pending a full resolution of the appeal.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-...98.html?hp=l20

Re: Federal court okays Wisconsin voter ID law

I'm sure all the usual suspects will say that minorities are the only ones that don't have an ID, and it's too burdensome for people to get an ID.

I actually think the Indiana law was fine - so Wisconsin is fine as well.

There are some significant differences in these state voter ID laws.

Not that anyone to the left of Atilla the Hun would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    I'm sure all the usual suspects will say that minorities are the only ones that don't have an ID, and it's too burdensome for people to get an ID.
    If you're too lazy to get an ID, there is no way you're making it out to vote.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Thread Information