[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Store owner shoots, kills armed robber

Store owner shoots, kills armed robber

What would have happened if this store owner didn't have a gun to defend himself, his sister, and his property?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-gunfight.html

Re: Store owner shoots, kills armed robber

Copper Fiddle is armed and with the price of ammo so high, there will be no warning shot...
    http://www.bigdelivery.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31&dateline=142444635  1

From the comments.....

Sounds cool. It's incidents like this that spices up our otherwise monotonous lives

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    From the comments.....

Sounds cool. It's incidents like this that spices up our otherwise monotonous lives

Perhaps you should get a firearm.

Why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    What would have happened if this store owner didn't have a gun to defend himself, his sister, and his property?
    Is that how we justify it? What would have happened if this child's gun nut parents hadn't given him a .22 for his FIFTH birthday?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/ken...tial-shooting/

The good news is that grandma knows "that her granddaughter is in a better place". Maybe grandma should just shoot herself then.
    "The transition from democracy to tyranny is most easily brought about by a popular leader who knows how to exploit the class antagonism between the rich and the poor within the democratic state, and who succeeds in building up a bodyguard of a private army of his own. The people who have hailed him first as the champion of freedom are soon enslaved."

-From Things Plato Never Said

Nobody is trying to justify it because no justification is necessary.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    Why is that?
    To spice up your life, of course. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelbybirth
    Is that how we justify it? What would have happened if this child's gun nut parents hadn't given him a .22 for his FIFTH birthday?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/ken...tial-shooting/

The good news is that grandma knows "that her granddaughter is in a better place". Maybe grandma should just shoot herself then.

People accidentally kill children with cars, too. Should a guilty granny run over herself with her car?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-gunfight.html
    A better question is why didn't he just relocate his store? If I opened up a business that was constantly getting robbed I would think about moving first. Who wants to have to get in a gunfight if it can be avoided? Even if you have to take a financial hit, it's far preferable, IMO, than knowing that you are will have to risk your life to stay.

so there should be no stores in crime ridden areas?

I suppose there should be stores, but why risk it? Chances are you're never going to get rich working out of such an area and in the meantime you're risking your life getting in God knows how many shootouts.

[quote=Huey Grey]
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Tradition":38z5fer1
    I suppose there should be stores, but why risk it? Chances are you're never going to get rich working out of such an area and in the meantime you're risking your life getting in God knows how many shootouts.[/quote:38z5fer1]

You do realize that your liberal brethren decry "food deserts" in poor communities. So, if everyone had your attitude this would be even worse.

People of your ilk also decry the lack of institutions like banks and other legitimate financial services providers in poor communities, leaving folks unable to get community-based lending to improve impoverished areas.

And finally, people who won't invest in poor communities get called "racists" by folks on your side of the aisle.

In any case, I would imagine that these people bought this store to try and make a better life for themselves. I'm sure if they could afford a store in a nicer part of town, they would have done so. But circumstances probably dictated that this store was the best they could do. Your suggestion to them is to buy something else? Did it ever occur to you that they'd do that if they could do so? How heartless of you!

[quote=The Tradition][quote="Huey Grey":1qiid80e]
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Tradition":1qiid80e
    I suppose there should be stores, but why risk it? Chances are you're never going to get rich working out of such an area and in the meantime you're risking your life getting in God knows how many shootouts.[/quote:1qiid80e]

You do realize that your liberal brethren decry "food deserts" in poor communities. So, if everyone had your attitude this would be even worse.

People of your ilk also decry the lack of institutions like banks and other legitimate financial services providers in poor communities, leaving folks unable to get community-based lending to improve impoverished areas.

And finally, people who won't invest in poor communities get called "racists" by folks on your side of the aisle.

In any case, I would imagine that these people bought this store to try and make a better life for themselves. I'm sure if they could afford a store in a nicer part of town, they would have done so. But circumstances probably dictated that this store was the best they could do. Your suggestion to them is to buy something else? Did it ever occur to you that they'd do that if they could do so? How heartless of you![/quote:1qiid80e]
    It's a matter of reason for me. Should people be encouraged to take a risk to open up a store in a poor neighborhood? Of course. But if they take the risk and get knocked off over and over again, which causes them to take a legitimate risk of their lives every time they go to work, then it becomes unreasonable. I don't know what the solution is, but getting in guaranteed gun fights with armed robbers doesn't seem to be one of them. It's one thing to arm your store on the off chance you think you may need it. But it's an entirely different thing to stay in a place where you know you will have to get in a gunfight.

And yes. I support businesses moving into poor neighborhoods to give more opportunities to the people who live there. But if a bank or a grocery store gets robbed over and over again, then I'm sorry, the community lost their opportunity. They should have no expectation that a store that keeps getting held up will stay there.

Thread Information