[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Etsy bans Redskins merchandise

Etsy bans Redskins merchandise

Etsy has announced that it will no longer sell items that bear the Washington Redskins' name and logo.
    The online marketplace posted a policy update on its blog Tuesday saying that the football team's Native American mascot is offensive.

'In no uncertain terms, Native American groups have consistently advocated and litigated that the term “redskin(s)” is disparaging and damaging to Native Americans,' the company said in a statement.

'We want Etsy to be safe, welcoming, and respectful for everyone, including artists, women, and minorities. For this reason, it has long been against our policies to allow content on our site that demeans people based upon race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation,' the post continued.

However, the site will still permit the sale of items that feature the team's colors - burgundy and gold - and Washington, D.C., location.

'We understand that fans wish to support their favorite football team, and we do not believe that fans who are attached to the mascot have any racist feeling or intent,' the site said.

'We also understand that some fans view the name and mascot as an homage to Native Americans, and we do not doubt their noble intent, but the fact remains that Native Americans themselves find the term unacceptable.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...Americans.html

Re: Etsy bans Redskins merchandise

I did manage to find lots of swastika jewelry though.

This is how things should happen, through the free market.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

'In no uncertain terms, Native American groups have consistently advocated and litigated that the term “redskin(s)” is disparaging and damaging to Native Americans,' the company said in a statement.
    I haven't found much of this around?

However I support whatever this website is, to do what they want as they are probably a private company.

And its equally my right to not give them my business.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

Quote Originally Posted by NoleGrad83
    And its equally my right to not give them my business.
    Exactly. That's how things are supposed to work. A lot of people in this country forget that though. They try to force the behavior, that they feel is "correct", through legislation. That's what what this country was founded on.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Native americans actually use the same mascot for their highschools. I'd say that flies in the face of Etsy's claim.

Thread Information