[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification


Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

  1. #1

    Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    Hillary Clinton spoke on Friday of the need for paid family leave in a video message to a women in the workforce conference in Japan.

    “The United States, unfortunately, is one of a handful of developed countries without paid family leave,” she said, according to The Wall Street Journal.

    “If we give parents the flexibility on the job and paid family leave, it actually helps productivity, which in turn helps all of us,” she added.
    In a group of 38 developed countries, the United States is the only one that does not require employers to give some amount of paid leave. The Family and Medical Leave Act, signed under then-President Bill Clinton in 1993 mandated up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.

    Clinton said during a CNN town hall in June that "eventually, it should be" required. But she added, "I don't think, politically, we could get it now."

    She emphasized the role of the states in spreading it.

    "And, you know, the Massachusetts healthcare reform — that was an example that was then adopted for the Affordable Care Act," she said. "So, I think, with paid leave, we ought to encourage states and localities that have the political will to do this, to begin to implement it, and then we ought to try to see how we can expand it."



    The freaking libtards never stop dreaming up new ways of extracting money from employers' wallets.

    Now we're supposed to pay you stay home and take care of your sick kids? Where the hell does the revenue come from to pay you IF YOU'RE NOT AT WORK GENERATING ANY REVENUE????

    God, these people are freaking out of their ever-loving minds. GAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!


    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...leave-at-japan

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home of the Syrupmakers
    Posts
    10,818

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    Wow,... we can just borrow it,... and add it to the National Debt. I am sure that bottomless pit will accommodate,...

    Right Communist Nole?

  3. #3
    Administrator FSU_Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Tallahassee Florida
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    I took 12 weeks off twice while working for the university as paternity leave under the Family and Medical leave act when my children were born.

    Out of the 24 total weeks I took off I had only 1 week in which I did not get paid.

    I was able to use both my saved vacation and saved sick time. I would assume anyone that has saved time can use it to help fund themselves during this time off. If they didn't save time then that is their own fault I guess.

  4. #4

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep
    I took 12 weeks off twice while working for the university as paternity leave under the Family and Medical leave act when my children were born.

    Out of the 24 total weeks I took off I had only 1 week in which I did not get paid.

    I was able to use both my saved vacation and saved sick time. I would assume anyone that has saved time can use it to help fund themselves during this time off. If they didn't save time then that is their own fault I guess.

    Not too many employers allow you to use sick leave like that anymore.

  5. #5

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog
    Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep
    I took 12 weeks off twice while working for the university as paternity leave under the Family and Medical leave act when my children were born.

    Out of the 24 total weeks I took off I had only 1 week in which I did not get paid.

    I was able to use both my saved vacation and saved sick time. I would assume anyone that has saved time can use it to help fund themselves during this time off. If they didn't save time then that is their own fault I guess.

    Not too many employers allow you to use sick leave like that anymore.
    The law allows employers to run accumulated sick/vacation concurrently with FMLA leave. Employers don't have to do so, but then you're going to have your employee out for 12 weeks PLUS however many weeks of vacation you grant PLUS however many sick days you grant, putting the employee out of work for 14 weeks... 16 weeks.... 20 weeks....?

    The point of having a job is to... you know... actually come to work and do the job once in awhile.

    Now we're supposed to pay them to stay home, above and beyond paid vacation/sick that are already offered.

    Why not? Employers are bottomless pits of money. They can afford it.

  6. #6

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    It seems it could work if implemented in a reasonable way.

    http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/...y_opinion.html

  7. #7

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    It seems it could work if implemented in a reasonable way.

    http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/...y_opinion.html
    Seems it could work for who?

    Have you noticed that Atlantic City casinos are boarding up at a frenzied pace? Probably from having to pay cocktail waitresses to stay home and care for their sick kids.

  8. #8

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    It seems it could work if implemented in a reasonable way.

    http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/...y_opinion.html
    Seems it could work for who?

    Have you noticed that Atlantic City casinos are boarding up at a frenzied pace? Probably from having to pay cocktail waitresses to stay home and care for their sick kids.

    For everyone. Of course, you'd have to stay at the kids' table and keep your mouth shut.

  9. #9

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    And I doubt Trad has much idea at all as to why the casinos in Atlantic City are closing down either. Shocking.

    http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf...necessary.html

  10. #10

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    Okay. TRY to think like a businessman for once in your life.

    You have a company that sells widgets. You have very little wiggle room in how you price your widgets because if you charge too much, people will buy your competitor's widgets instead.

    Now, you've built your business and controlled costs so that it's actually profitable to sell your widgets at the market price. You have the fixed costs (rent, utilities, insurance, taxes), and variable costs (supplies, raw goods, labor, etc.). You have it all set up so that the costs do not exceed the revenue you receive for each widget you sell.

    Then some jackass like Clinton comes along and requires you to pay people who aren't producing widgets. This could possibly result in you LOSING money on every widget you sell.

    If you're losing money on every widget you sell, and if you can't cut costs or increase revenues somewhere else, you'll have to close your business and lay off all the employees. Oh, and the "paid leave" people stop getting checks for free, too.

    This benefits no one.

    Get it, yet?

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home of the Syrupmakers
    Posts
    10,818

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    lol What do you expect from a trailer park dude lol

  12. #12

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    If someone wants to have kids, then they need to PLAN for it. To require businesses to pay employees that aren't producing anything is beyond retarted. I can get behind some sort of short term leave, but it has to be unpaid. If a person can use accrued vacation/sick time, fine. When the wifey and I had our kid, we prepared for it. We knew there would be a period of lost in income for her/us.

  13. #13
    Administrator FSU_Jeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Tallahassee Florida
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Clinton makes case for paid family leave

    Isn't this what aflac is for?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2013 www.BigDelivery.com - All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 2014 www.TheDailyNole.com - All Rights Reserved
This website is an independently operated source of news and information not affiliated with any school or team.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO