[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Roger Godell Unemployment Watch Thread

Roger Godell Unemployment Watch Thread

It is inevitable that this tax dollar grubbing, and very smug, scumbag gets sent packing. After the revelations in the last day or so, I have to wonder if he will still be commissioner this time next week. He's toast. It's just a matter of how soon he gets sent packing.

Re: Roger Godell Unemployment Watch Thread

Soon to be ex-commissioner caught in a lie. Maybe he should be a policeman. They can lie, get caught and keep their jobs. Only problem, police jobs don't pay 44 million a year

http://hotair.com/headlines/archives/20 ... -elevator/

Ooops, almost ex-commissioner caught in another lie. Turns out the NFL received the second video months ago

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /15419253/

Keith Olberman goes to town on Godel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd3XY924uuU

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Nole_OX
    Ooops, almost ex-commissioner caught in another lie. Turns out the NFL received the second video months ago

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /15419253/
    Perhaps the woman at the NFL office who received it didn't share it with higher ups, but even in the off-chance that's what happened, is Goodell really going to lay blame on a female subordinate? He's in a no-win situation.

I keep hearing how they might not be able to use this video as evidence or punishment as it was not acquired legally.

Is there really any difference in using this video to end ray rices professional football career than using the sound recording that was taken illegally to end Sterling's ownership of an NBA team?

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep
    I keep hearing how they might not be able to use this video as evidence or punishment as it was not acquired legally.

Is there really any difference in using this video to end ray rices professional football career than using the sound recording that was taken illegally to end Sterling's ownership of an NBA team?
    Goodell acquired emails and recordings of the Saints for bounty gate. He's fudged and has gone underground. Hunting isn't much fun when the rabbit has the gun.

In the bountygate thing, he said that "ignorance is no excuse."

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The NPR weekly panel was talking earlier about how Condoleeza Rice has always said this would be her dream job. I know it will sound PC and even a little silly to some, but I think the NFL should take a strong look at her. The ďopticsĒ would be really good for this time where abuse by sports players is really getting hammered (getting a black woman who the sports media will sell as having been highly successful and competent across a range of high level positions). As I understand it she was able to soak up a lot of football knowledge being around professional coaches and players in childhood and constantly asking questions and studying the game. I donít think the black players would view it any worse than the clichť heard from time to time now, of them working on a plantation for white masters.

Obviously though there would have to be a comfort level between her philosophy on running a business and how the NFL owners think their business ought to be run. Thatís probably where it wouldnít work. From a PR standpoint though she would certainly be an improvement over Godell.

Why does it matter that she is black?

Black women are kind of an ultimate victim class when it comes to domestic violence. "Optics" are so big nowadays.......I think it would be seen as the NFL showing that they are super concerned about the issue and are putting in place someone who will be super sensitive to it and work overtime to root it out.

It's kind of fantasy land......the owners are way more concerned about their pockets filling up than rooting out domestic violence......but hey, it's friday, my imagination is taking off.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Spearchucker87
    Black women are kind of an ultimate victim class when it comes to domestic violence. "Optics" are so big nowadays.......I think it would be seen as the NFL showing that they are super concerned about the issue and are putting in place someone who will be super sensitive to it and work overtime to root it out.

It's kind of fantasy land......the owners are way more concerned about their pockets filling up than rooting out domestic violence......but hey, it's friday, my imagination is taking off.

Why is this non race issue turning into a race issue? Thought this was something we as a society are trying to get away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Spearchucker87

"the owners are way more concerned about their pockets filling up than rooting out domestic violence"

Ding ding ding...winner. Politicians are way more interested in keeping their gravy train rolling than actually doing their job....sanctimonious public is way more interested in riding their high horse than actually DOING anything that will change things.

Shad kahn was quoted as saying that it's the NFL's responsibility to end domestic violence. Come on ...maaaaan. This is all PR lip service.

The 16 female senators called on the NFL to institute a zero tolerance policy. Sooo....then they're good with that across the board right? Anyone who does anything should be banned from ever doing their job again if they hit their spouse?

I understand that businesses have the right to maintain standards for their employees. Different businesses are adversely affect differently by their employee away from job behavior. You can stop one person from doing something while under your employ by simply firing them. But you can't absolutely erase behaviors and certainly can't eradicate crimes of passion.

Per state law, if you're convicted of domestic violence in Florida, you are ineligible for employment in nursing homes. Period. After many years, it's possible to get an exception and work again.

There are a whole lot of females who get caught up in this and lose their jobs.

[quote="FSU_Jeep
    Why is this non race issue turning into a race issue? Thought this was something we as a society are trying to get away from.[/quote]

I havenít seen where itís been publicly turned into a race issue. At least in what commentary Iíve been able to hear, itís been talked about as an across-the-board problem. But while people might say they are color-blind and donít notice race, I donít believe thatís the case. People would immediately be aware that Rice was not just a woman but a black woman. I think on at least a subliminal level it would be even more impactful than the NFL hiring a white woman. Of course, by the same token, you canít remove peopleís personal perceptions of Rice. To me it seemed like a great idea, as I see her as tough and competent. Tougher and more competent, just to mention with some irony, than our current male President. But to the extent people on the political left associate Rice with conservative politics or the Bush 43 administration in particular, that could cause them to dislike any organization she is associated with, regardless of any demographic matters. So it could be a polarizing pick for that reason.

Someone named "Rice" getting the job because of the "Rice" scandal would be just too ironic.

Almost as bad as "Sterling" and "Silver" facing off in the NBA thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    Per state law, if you're convicted of domestic violence in Florida, you are ineligible for employment in nursing homes. Period. After many years, it's possible to get an exception and work again.

There are a whole lot of females who get caught up in this and lose their jobs.
    I can see certain occupations instituting zero tolerance. When i was Navy ATC....one pop on urinalysis and you no longer talk to airplanes. But to me.... a more effective policy for a guy like Rice would be to suspend him for a time. Then take a cut of his pay for a period and donate it to battered women's support groups.
    I mean the league can (and maybe will) succumb to pressure and institute zero tolerance. The world will say 'Good NFL! Good citizens! They are true leaders." But will it affect society in general? Will it even stop future players from getting drunk and smacking around their women? I don't think so. In the heat of the moment people make rash decisions that they'll regret.

But the league will look good. They will have done their part. Just feels like lip service and NOT the best path to try and battle a real problem.

BTW Jeep, one thing I should have added to my previous answer was the ďkilling 2 birds with one stoneĒ aspect, from the owners perspective. As I alluded to above, I donít think this could actually happen b/c the owner's primary focusis on profiteering. They would want a commish who puts that value above ethical concerns (not saying so publicly, but in practice). And I donít think Rice would fit the mold well enough. But if they did make the move, it would mollify trouble on another front: Activists, commentators, as well as NFL players and coaches over the years have decried the lack of minority involvement at levels higher than the playing field. This would mollify the criticism somewhat. Optics again.

Thread Information