[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

  1. #1

    Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Critics warned that Obamacare would kill jobs. It would make insurance so expensive that employers would have to cut back on hiring. And smaller companies would shed employees to get below the 50-worker threshold for having to provide coverage.

    A recent study by the conservative-leaning American Action Forum purports to show that increases in employer insurance premiums caused by the Affordable Care Act have made small companies less likely to hire new workers or to raise wages for existing workers.

    But if the ACA is causing employer premiums to increase, it is difficult to tell. A recent survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that the annual rate of increase in employer premiums is at the lowest level in decades. The cost of coverage grew by only 3% between 2013 and 2014. Thatís the smallest rate of increase since Kaiser started conducting the survey 16 years ago. And itís down from 5% in the years just before the ACA was enacted.

    Another recent study by the Urban Institute found little evidence that the ACA is causing employers to switch workers from full-time to part-time status. The report concluded that a small uptick in part-time work that occurred last year is primarily due to the sluggish economy, not health reform.

    Obamacare could have significant effects on employer-sponsored health care in the years ahead. These might include reductions in worker hours or wages at some companies. But the evidence we have to date indicates that this has not yet happened to any significant extent. And there no evidence to suggest that it will do so any time soon.

    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/fiel ... s-not.html

  2. #2

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    you do know that the employer mandate hasn't really become effective yet, don't you? that little slice of hell won't be fully implemented until Obama is safely out of office.

  3. #3

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    you do know that the employer mandate hasn't really become effective yet, don't you? that little slice of hell won't be fully implemented until Obama is safely out of office.
    oooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF
    Generally speakiní: You ainít learniní nothing when youíre the one doiní the talkin

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home of the Syrupmakers
    Posts
    10,814

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Look, BS Propaganda!

  5. #5

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    OK, in my circle of friends, I have 4 friends that own companies ranging from 5 employees to 150 employees. All four have experienced rate increases from 15% to over 50% this year. Two of the companies have switched employees from full time to 29 hours to avoid provisions of the mandate so they won't be forced to terminate people later. All have said Obamacare has affected their hiring decision.

    There is absolutely no way to tell how many positions have been cut, or how many hours have been reduced, but it's absolutely stupid to think it isn't so when there's an abundance of anecdotal evidence.

  6. #6

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    So I guess those buddies of yours would love single payer which rid them completely from having to deal with healthcare costs and taxes.

    Right?

  7. #7

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    So I guess those buddies of yours would love single payer which rid them completely from having to deal with healthcare costs and taxes.

    Right?
    If single payer rid them of costs how could it also rid them of taxes?

  8. #8

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    So I guess those buddies of yours would love single payer which rid them completely from having to deal with healthcare costs and taxes.

    Right?
    Nope. They would like to choose the health care benefits they provide, and the provider. They believe that single payer will be more expensive overall, and will limit the choices of doctors. They don't want to pay for a lot of extras the ACA currently mandates, and single payer would undoubtedly mandate.

    We all sit together Friday nights at the high school football games. I'll ask them if they've changed their minds, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, Brooklyn.

  9. #9

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    you do know that the employer mandate hasn't really become effective yet, don't you? that little slice of hell won't be fully implemented until Obama is safely out of office.
    Is it possible employer mandate will wreak havoc? Possibly. But I wouldn't hold my breath. All of the other doom and gloom predictions by the right have turned out to be false.

  10. #10

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    OK, in my circle of friends, I have 4 friends that own companies ranging from 5 employees to 150 employees. All four have experienced rate increases from 15% to over 50% this year. Two of the companies have switched employees from full time to 29 hours to avoid provisions of the mandate so they won't be forced to terminate people later. All have said Obamacare has affected their hiring decision.

    There is absolutely no way to tell how many positions have been cut, or how many hours have been reduced, but it's absolutely stupid to think it isn't so when there's an abundance of anecdotal evidence.
    So you think you know better than Kaiser Health and all of the other non partisan studies which have found that Obamacare hasn't caused any of these problems? That's fine if you do. But they are the experts in this field and I'll accept their opinion over yours.

  11. #11

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Business owner here: all our premiums went up 30% last year. The SINGLE BIGGEST JUMP in year over year premiums for my company in 17 years.
    Generally speakiní: You ainít learniní nothing when youíre the one doiní the talkin

  12. #12

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dock Savage
    Business owner here: all our premiums went up 30% last year. The SINGLE BIGGEST JUMP in year over year premiums for my company in 17 years.
    I can appreciate your rate jump, but the fact is that nationally, rates haven't seemed to be affected much by Obamacare. You could be one of the few companies that was, or something else altogether could have caused the rate increases. But what no evidence shows is that Obamacare is causing the widespread rate increases that the right warned about.

  13. #13

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    So I guess those buddies of yours would love single payer which rid them completely from having to deal with healthcare costs and taxes.

    Right?
    Nope. They would like to choose the health care benefits they provide, and the provider. They believe that single payer will be more expensive overall, and will limit the choices of doctors. They don't want to pay for a lot of extras the ACA currently mandates, and single payer would undoubtedly mandate.

    We all sit together Friday nights at the high school football games. I'll ask them if they've changed their minds, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, Brooklyn.

    I get as individuals they want choices - but as employers they would save a bundle by not having to provide health insurance or contribute towards their employees insurance.

    As for greater taxes - Canada has single payer and is doing just fine attracting business (Burger King being just the most recent example).

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home of the Syrupmakers
    Posts
    10,814

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Only if you believe in the BS Propaganda

  15. #15

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    The study doesn't show that it hasn't caused job losses, the blogger infers. I don't see an MBA in his credentials which makes sense based on this shallowest of arguments.

    What we know is more costs are being transferred to the individual and most of the ACA hasn't kicked in.


  16. #16

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Wake up. The rest of the developed world provides universal coverage with similar - often better - health stats and patient satisfaction rates for about 60% of what pay. They do this using various systems, from socialized medicine to mandated insurance but private care - like ours - but in all cases with negotiated and set pricing with the government. We can't afford the system we had and will have to change or go under. This is not rocket science and there is no secret sauce. One entity big enough sets pricing, including on drugs. Anything else is masturbation.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Home of the Syrupmakers
    Posts
    10,814

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Wake up? You are the one spouting BS propaganda. YOU WAKE UP

    If you like what other countries are doing,... GO THERE.

  18. #18

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    [quote=Brooklyn Nole]
    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":1527hw3k
    So I guess those buddies of yours would love single payer which rid them completely from having to deal with healthcare costs and taxes.

    Right?
    Nope. They would like to choose the health care benefits they provide, and the provider. They believe that single payer will be more expensive overall, and will limit the choices of doctors. They don't want to pay for a lot of extras the ACA currently mandates, and single payer would undoubtedly mandate.

    We all sit together Friday nights at the high school football games. I'll ask them if they've changed their minds, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, Brooklyn.

    I get as individuals they want choices - but as employers they would save a bundle by not having to provide health insurance or contribute towards their employees insurance.

    As for greater taxes - Canada has single payer and is doing just fine attracting business (Burger King being just the most recent example).[/quote:1527hw3k]

    There's no evidence there would be any tax savings. Government is extremely inefficient. There are lots of indications there would be fewer doctors if Medicare and Medicaid are your models.

    Burger King moving to Canada is an extremely poor example. They will be saving on corporate taxes, but there won't be any effect on their employees in the US having to deal with Obamacare.

  19. #19

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by wordjazz
    Wake up. The rest of the developed world provides universal coverage with similar - often better - health stats and patient satisfaction rates for about 60% of what pay. They do this using various systems, from socialized medicine to mandated insurance but private care - like ours - but in all cases with negotiated and set pricing with the government. We can't afford the system we had and will have to change or go under. This is not rocket science and there is no secret sauce. One entity big enough sets pricing, including on drugs. Anything else is masturbation.
    Then why do Canadians and other people come here for health care if it's so good in their home countries?

  20. #20

    Re: Turns out Obamacare hasn't cost jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog
    Quote Originally Posted by wordjazz
    Wake up. The rest of the developed world provides universal coverage with similar - often better - health stats and patient satisfaction rates for about 60% of what pay. They do this using various systems, from socialized medicine to mandated insurance but private care - like ours - but in all cases with negotiated and set pricing with the government. We can't afford the system we had and will have to change or go under. This is not rocket science and there is no secret sauce. One entity big enough sets pricing, including on drugs. Anything else is masturbation.
    Then why do Canadians and other people come here for health care if it's so good in their home countries?
    Why do Americans go to Thailand and Ecuador for health care?

    We do somethings better than Canada and somethings worse. The difference is they can afford their system and everyone gets care. They are t totally socialized, unlike Germany and France, which also do theirs for cheap.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2013 www.BigDelivery.com - All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 2014 www.TheDailyNole.com - All Rights Reserved
This website is an independently operated source of news and information not affiliated with any school or team.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO