[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costco -v Wallmart

Costco -v Wallmart

Walmart pays low wages, has crap customer service and has falling sales for 5 straight quarters (among with stores closing).

Costco pays well above Wallmart's wages, has far more benefits for their employees and has record sales for 3 straight years.

Discuss.

Re: Costco -v Wallmart

Really, who cares about customer service when you go to Walmart (or any other big box store, for that matter)? You go in, you get what you want, and you leave via the self checkout lines. My interaction with Walmart employees is next to zero.

Both places serve a purpose.

Costco says its customer service is a big reason for its success.

Maybe you don't care about service at a big box - but Costco does and believes lots of its customers do too - and their success certainly demonstrates that.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtNole
    Really, who cares about customer service when you go to Walmart (or any other big box store, for that matter)? You go in, you get what you want, and you leave via the self checkout lines. My interaction with Walmart employees is next to zero.

Both places serve a purpose.

Yep. I don't expect to have my butt kissed at Wal Mart. I'm in and out buying staple items, not a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole

Maybe you don't care about service at a big box - but Costco does and believes lots of its customers do too - and their success certainly demonstrates that.

Find a Wal Mart and Costco next to each other and tell me who is winning that battle.

Banned

Yes,... Those who hate walmart,... just follow what the DNC tells them

Not sure the revenue statement on Wal-Mart declining for 5 straight quarters is correct. The last 5 quarters of revenue were:

7/31/13 = $116.95B
    10/31/13 = $115.69B
    1/31/14 = $129.71B
    4/30/14 = $114.96B
    7/31/14 = $120.13B

Certainly there is seasonality, but year-over-year for quarter-ending 7/31/14, WMT was up 2.7% in revenue. More importantly than revenue, WMT kicks off gross income at 24.8% and EBITDA at 7.5% in their last completed fiscal year. Compare this to COST at 12.6% gross income and EBITDA at 3.8%. WMT certainly seems to have the better results. As a consumer, I like Costco better, but I'm note sure they should be rewarded with a multiple of 25 compared to WMT's 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog

Find a Wal Mart and Costco next to each other and tell me who is winning that battle.
    Ummm... there is one in Tallahassee at FallsChase.... I am pretty sure both do well.

But comparing these two models is ridiculous. Comparing Target and Wal-mart would make way more sense.

When people stop shopping at Wal-Mart they will change their model... until then they will continue to operate as they see fit to reach their goals.

If you don't like the way they do business don't shop there. It is pretty simple.

Why are you comparing Walmart to Costco? They are not even the same type of store?

Walmart compares with Kmart.

Costco compares with Sams BJs and other bulk warehouse stores.

Have you compared or sought out if SAM's club is ran better than Walmart? Then compare those findings to Costco.

Hey Broke - how much do you pay your help?
    Generally speakiní: You ainít learniní nothing when youíre the one doiní the talkin

Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog

There's a Super Wal-Mart right next to a Costco where I live. They seem to be killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep
    Why are you comparing Walmart to Costco? They are not even the same type of store?

Have you compared or sought out if SAM's club is ran better than Walmart? Then compare those findings to Costco.
    I think that a big box store that sells everything is highly relatable to another big box store that sells everything.

[quote=Huey Grey]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":tqwbzx3h

I think that a big box store that sells everything is highly relatable to another big box store that sells everything.[/quote:tqwbzx3h]

That is where you would be wrong. Comparing a Warehouse club that sales memberships to a big box store is completely different.

Walmart does not sell breithling watches do they? When is the last time you purchased a car through walmart? How about a casket? Walmart does not even employee a butcher so you can't even compare the meat departments.

[quote=FSU_Jeep][quote="Huey Grey":1r0ovlsx]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":1r0ovlsx

I think that a big box store that sells everything is highly relatable to another big box store that sells everything.[/quote:1r0ovlsx]

That is where you would be wrong. Comparing a Warehouse club that sales memberships to a big box store is completely different.

Walmart does not sell breithling watches do they? When is the last time you purchased a car through walmart? How about a casket? Walmart does not even employee a butcher so you can't even compare the meat departments.[/quote:1r0ovlsx]
    Wal-Mart sells cars. They sell caskets. And it's a stretch with the meat department. But I'll give it to you on the watches. Although it you get on Wal-Mart.com they do feature Breitling as a special sponsor.

[quote=Huey Grey][quote="FSU_Jeep":sospy9yu][quote="Huey Grey":sospy9yu]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":sospy9yu

I think that a big box store that sells everything is highly relatable to another big box store that sells everything.[/quote:sospy9yu]

Walmart does not sell breithling watches do they? When is the last time you purchased a car through walmart? How about a casket? Walmart does not even employee a butcher so you can't even compare the meat departments.[/quote:sospy9yu]
    Wal-Mart sells cars. They sell caskets. And it's a stretch with the meat department. But I'll give it to you on the watches. Although it you get on Wal-Mart.com they do feature Breitling as a special sponsor.[/quote:sospy9yu]

I buy all my meat at Costco, Costco has better meat than the Fresh Market in Tallahassee. The Filets at Costco for $12.99 a lb, are the same as at the fresh mart for $21.99 a lb.

And no there is not a wal-mart in the US where they have a car for sale in the store.

You cannot compare warehouse stores to big box stores, it is an entirely different market.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB100...67093678271732

If you are comparing Wal-Mart to Costco you have no concept of the retail space.

Even comparing Sams to Costco becomes a stretch when you consider the philosophies behind the companies. While the sales model is very similar, the target audience, quality of goods and purchasing tactics are completely dissimilar.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueNole
    If you are comparing Wal-Mart to Costco you have no concept of the retail space.

Even comparing Sams to Costco becomes a stretch when you consider the philosophies behind the companies. While the sales model is very similar, the target audience, quality of goods and purchasing tactics are completely dissimilar.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueNole

So if you were the CEO of Wal-Mart you wouldn't consider Costco a competitor? That may be your belief but I don't think the real CEO of Wal-Mart would agree with you. Do a simple google search. The two stores are compared all the time.

The ceo of Sam's Club considers Costco a competitor.

I love going to Costco - so long as it's not a Saturday.

I feel dirty after a visit to Walmart and need a Silkwood shower.
    Even the brand new ones seems dirty and reek of sadness.
    King Jackass

Walmart doesn't sell 200-pack pallets of toilet paper. they are two different business models. the big spenders at Costco are small businesses and churches.

Thread Information