[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penn State off the hook...your thoughts?

Penn State off the hook...your thoughts?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... tany-lions

So the Nittanys will be back to full speed soon. How do you feel about that? Danny (in video) thought the penalty was too harsh to begin with.

I disagree. The powers there turned a blind eye to this monster and young kids were abused. The NCAA dropping the penalties is bull****.

Re: Penn State off the hook...your thoughts?

I personally think this was the right thing to do. In the bigger picture this had nothing to do with the athletes that were being punished. I support the sanctions when it is something like happened at Miami and the students caused the problems.

The judicial system handled this situation and the university paid a massive financial fine for it.

Usually initial reactions are of the knee jerk kind. The man responsible has been thoroughly punished. I kind of understand a reasoning of not wanting to punish current people for past transgressions. I also don't want to give parties, like the boosters, an out to turn a blind eye to a situation that they are aware of.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Should have received 5 year death penalty. Considering the offense, they barely received a slap on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Nole_OX
    Should have received 5 year death penalty. Considering the offense, they barely received a slap on the wrist.
    TC, I agree that the offense was about as heinous as it gets. Should the current Penn State fans be punished for past transgressions? If so, what is your reasoning for it? I respect your opinion and I'm not completely solid in my position.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

SMU has never recovered from their penalty back in the 80s, so PSU must have got a slap on wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep
    I personally think this was the right thing to do. In the bigger picture this had nothing to do with the athletes that were being punished. I support the sanctions when it is something like happened at Miami and the students caused the problems.

The judicial system handled this situation and the university paid a massive financial fine for it.
    Agree with Jeep. ^

I've heard the argument that PSU would not have been able to recruit as well, etc., if this had been made public while Sandusky was still there. My take is that the NCAA should enforce NCAA rules, and this really had nothing to do with NCAA rules. That said, I think the judicial system, both criminal and civil, should have come down even harder on PSU.

I never understood why anyone separates the athletes from the university.

There are no names on the jersey. You punish the school appropriately - regardless of the impact on the program. In fact, impact on the program should not even be a consideration in formulating a punishment - as demonstrated by the NCAA by allowing any player to transfer without having to sit out.

The real innocent by-standers here are the small businesses in Happy Valley, not the Players, that make a large portion of their annual revenues off of Penn State football and who were economically impacted by the university being punished.

I thought the NCAA gave them a fairly light sentence. I would have shut the program down for 1 year (to ensure for posterity a black mark in history for such heinous actions) - and then gradually brought them back with 8 games and then a 12 game schedule. That would have crippled the program from a competitive standpoint for a decade - which I believe is appropriate given the circumstances.

This reaction in Happy Valley indicates to me that the punishment was far too light.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchasVeces
    This reaction in Happy Valley indicates to me that the punishment was far too light.

Indeed.

The program covered up the rape of dozens of kids. They shouldn't even have a football team. And I was absolutely disgusted when hundreds of fans waited in line to have their picture taken with JoPa's statue before it was taken down. He likely ignored the molestation of many children. I used to be a fan of Penn State (We did own them for several years, so it was fun to play them), but now wish they were no longer part of the BigTen.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Jeep

A few of the coaches, including the head coach, were in on these molestations. How does this not have everything to do with the football team? Some of them took place in the team shower room for chrissake.

[quote=Huey Grey]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":10l1d12v

A few of the coaches, including the head coach, were in on these molestations. How does this not have everything to do with the football team? Some of them took place in the team shower room for chrissake.[/quote:10l1d12v]

Huey:

You just don't understand that to Jeep nothing can ever be allowed to impact the quality of a college football team - unless they cheat on a test. See, that a real no no. But allow rape to go on - that's for the criminal justice system - the univetrsity had nothing to do with that.

If Paterno sat and eat popcorn while watching the kid get raped in the show Jeep would still say the program should be lightly punished - if at all.

[quote=Brooklyn Nole][quote="Huey Grey":15jmnubt]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":15jmnubt

A few of the coaches, including the head coach, were in on these molestations. How does this not have everything to do with the football team? Some of them took place in the team shower room for chrissake.[/quote:15jmnubt]

Huey:

You just don't understand that to Jeep nothing can ever be allowed to impact the quality of a college football team - unless they cheat on a test. See, that a real no no. But allow rape to go on - that's for the criminal justice system - the univetrsity had nothing to do with that.

If Paterno sat and eat popcorn while watching the kid get raped in the show Jeep would still say the program should be lightly punished - if at all.[/quote:15jmnubt]
    Kids were being ass raped in the locker room by coaches. It's absurd to claim that the football program isn't an itegral part of the problem. Everyone should have been **** canned from this. JoePa, The AD, The University President. That team should have been buried.

Gotta agree with Huey here. As for current (innocent)players being punished.....no one made them go to Penn State. THEY decided to align with a program that allowed child ass rape to happen....again....and again....and again

[quote=Huey Grey][quote="Brooklyn Nole":11ipp0cx][quote="Huey Grey":11ipp0cx]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":11ipp0cx

A few of the coaches, including the head coach, were in on these molestations. How does this not have everything to do with the football team? Some of them took place in the team shower room for chrissake.[/quote:11ipp0cx]

Huey:

If Paterno sat and eat popcorn while watching the kid get raped in the show Jeep would still say the program should be lightly punished - if at all.[/quote:11ipp0cx]
    Kids were being ass raped in the locker room by coaches. It's absurd to claim that the football program isn't an itegral part of the problem. Everyone should have been s^$t canned from this. JoePa, The AD, The University President. That team should have been buried.[/quote:11ipp0cx]

Yup, but Jeep thinks so long as the players on the team are good (even if every single coach, booster and water boy are raping kids) then nothing should happen to the team.

The team is sacred - and protected by Romulan cloaking devise - at least in Jeep's mind.

[quote=Brooklyn Nole][quote="Huey Grey":20kls779][quote="Brooklyn Nole":20kls779][quote="Huey Grey":20kls779]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":20kls779

A few of the coaches, including the head coach, were in on these molestations. How does this not have everything to do with the football team? Some of them took place in the team shower room for chrissake.[/quote:20kls779]

Huey:

If Paterno sat and eat popcorn while watching the kid get raped in the show Jeep would still say the program should be lightly punished - if at all.[/quote:20kls779]
    Kids were being ass raped in the locker room by coaches. It's absurd to claim that the football program isn't an itegral part of the problem. Everyone should have been s^$t canned from this. JoePa, The AD, The University President. That team should have been buried.[/quote:20kls779]

Yup, but Jeep thinks so long as the players on the team are good (even if every single coach, booster and water boy are raping kids) then nothing should happen to the team.

The team is sacred - and protected by Romulan cloaking devise - at least in Jeep's mind.[/quote:20kls779]
    To be fair, Jeep isn't alone in this thinking. Many Penn State fans, and hell many Iowa fans are too. When we had two football players gangrape a girl, both Ferentz and President Sally Mason tried to keep it inhouse. It was an unexusable response. Both should have had the common sense to realize that this wasn't a civil problem. It was a criminal problem. And because of that, the police should have been immediately put in charge with the university giving them whatever support they could. I have very little respect for our football coach and President after that incident.

[quote=Huey Grey][quote="Brooklyn Nole":zyeaddls][quote="Huey Grey":zyeaddls][quote="Brooklyn Nole":zyeaddls][quote="Huey Grey":zyeaddls]
    Quote Originally Posted by "FSU_Jeep":zyeaddls

A few of the coaches, including the head coach, were in on these molestations. How does this not have everything to do with the football team? Some of them took place in the team shower room for chrissake.[/quote:zyeaddls]

Huey:

If Paterno sat and eat popcorn while watching the kid get raped in the show Jeep would still say the program should be lightly punished - if at all.[/quote:zyeaddls]
    Kids were being ass raped in the locker room by coaches. It's absurd to claim that the football program isn't an itegral part of the problem. Everyone should have been s^$t canned from this. JoePa, The AD, The University President. That team should have been buried.[/quote:zyeaddls]

The team is sacred - and protected by Romulan cloaking devise - at least in Jeep's mind.[/quote:zyeaddls]
    To be fair, Jeep isn't alone in this thinking. Many Penn State fans, and hell many Iowa fans are too. When we had two football players gangrape a girl, both Ferentz and President Sally Mason tried to keep it inhouse. It was an unexusable response. Both should have had the common sense to realize that this wasn't a civil problem. It was a criminal problem. And because of that, the police should have been immediately put in charge with the university giving them whatever support they could. I have very little respect for our football coach and President after that incident.[/quote:zyeaddls]

The truth is that incidents happen much more frequently on college campuses than people would believe.

But since football is the cash cow for many of these schools and surrounding towns - they pull out all the stops to protect the players and VERY QUIETLY compensate the victims. And folks like jeep could give a rats ass so long as that 5 Star QB gets to play on Saturday

Mixed feelings.

There needs to be a deterrent to bad behavior and cover ups, but I am a little sympathetic to the argument that innocent students, faculty, fans, alumni and athletes shouldn't be punished for something they had no part in. There are scandals in schools, churches, corporations, the military, etc. We typically punish those responsible rather than punish the entire organization.

I do think postseason bans, for example, make sense with respect to recruiting violations because those rules are part of the game and breaking those rules gives a team an unfair advantage relative to other teams. There has to be some disincentive there so people aren't letting the boosters do that stuff. But these were criminal acts that were outside of the game of football. People who knew about this and covered it up should be in prison, but I'm not sure how you determine an appropriate sanction for a football program when you're dealing with criminal behavior that isn't related to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by michael222
    Mixed feelings.

There needs to be a deterrent to bad behavior and cover ups, but I am a little sympathetic to the argument that innocent students, faculty, fans, alumni and athletes shouldn't be punished for something they had no part in. There are scandals in schools, churches, corporations, the military, etc. We typically punish those responsible rather than punish the entire organization.

I do think postseason bans, for example, make sense with respect to recruiting violations because those rules are part of the game and breaking those rules gives a team an unfair advantage relative to other teams. There has to be some disincentive there so people aren't letting the boosters do that stuff. But these were criminal acts that were outside of the game of football. People who knew about this and covered it up should be in prison, but I'm not sure how you determine an appropriate sanction for a football program when you're dealing with criminal behavior that isn't related to the game.

I just don't understand how you can separate the football program from the university in the context of NCAA punishment (not criminal prosecution) - especially when the acts perpetrated were by a university employee and occurred, at least on one occasion, on school property. The university by all accounts conspired and covered up. As such, the football program gets no special immunity from the NCAA - not should it. It is the very fact the program is so financially successful that it should be the very target for punishment as its success provides the motivating factor for the university coverup in the first place.

And if the player's don't like it they can go elsewhere.

And if local businesses don't like it they can pressure the university to take much more vigorous approach to oversight (Ja Pa got a free pass for almost everything).

Thread Information