[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama: I should've anticipated the optics of golfing

Obama: I should've anticipated the optics of golfing

President Obama admitted on Sunday that he “should’ve anticipated the optics” of golfing just minutes after a sober statement on the brutal beheading of American journalist James Foley by ISIS, noting that “part of this job is also the theater of it.”

Obama sat down Sunday with NBC’s new “Meet The Press” host Chuck Todd for a wide-ranging interview that touched on immigration, ISIS and other White House challenges. But Todd made sure to ask about that golf game, a moment that even supporters of the president admitted made him look tone deaf and disengaged.

“I gotta ask, during that vacation,” Todd said. “You made the statement on Foley, you went and golfed. Do you want that back?”

The president claimed it’s “always a challenge when you’re supposed to be on vacation, because you’re followed everywhere. And part of what I’d love is a vacation from the press –.”

“I promise you, in two and a half years I think that happens,” Todd joked.

“But there’s no doubt that, after having talked to the families — where it was hard for me to hold back tears listening to the pain that they were going through, after the statement that I made — that I should’ve anticipated the optics,” Obama admitted. “That’s part of the job.”

“You take this stuff, and it’s serious business, and you care about it deeply,” he explained. “But part of this job is also the theater of it. How you –.”

“You hate the theater of it,” Todd replied.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/07/obama ... z3CmUne1pp

What the hell? Theater is the only thing the man does well!

Re: Obama: I should've anticipated the optics of golfing

I hate the guy as much as the next person, but what is he really supposed to do? This should be handled by Congress. I've actually liked Obama's stance about the ME lately.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

What's he really supposed to do? Be a leader. That's what he's supposed to do.

Not having a strategy and running off to a tee time on Martha's Vineyard isn't much of a stance.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    What's he really supposed to do? Be a leader. That's what he's supposed to do.

Not having a strategy and running off to a tee time on Martha's Vineyard isn't much of a stance.
    Is "be a leader" code for "killing brown people"?

Look, war should be initiated by Congress, unless you prefer a dictatorial solution to the problem.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

No, it's not "code for killing brown people". It means protecting the American people from enemies. It was part of the oath of office that he swore to uphold.

I really don't know what threat ISIS is to the US, because everyone in the government and media has an agenda. If they truly are a threat to the US, then Obama needs to act. My best indicator is probably Rand Paul, and if Rand thinks action is required, it's probably required. So what should Obama do? He should go to Congress, present a case, and get Congressional approval to act.

Obama doesn't seem to understand the nature of his job. He understands the trappings, but he acts more like he's a king, and he can wave a wand, and people will simply do his bidding. He just doesn't seem prepared ahead of time so that he can be decisive when a decisive moment is required. OK, so he's now gathering a coalition. Knowing how serious this is, he should have been gathering a coalition sooner. The appearance is that he's now gathering a coalition, not so this is a joint effort, but to validate Obama's strategy

Before Obama was elected in 2008, he used to talk about how the US was hated and perceived throughout the world. He used to talk about talking instead of fighting. Heck, Obama won a Nobel Prize for taking that position. I wonder how he would view his results now if those results belonged to someone else, like Hillary or W.

The biggest downfall of Obama is that he's been reactive to problems rather than proactive. And in most cases, he's gone for the overkill option to 'solve' problems.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

No, it's not "code for killing brown people". It means protecting the American people from enemies. It was part of the oath of office that he swore to uphold.
    This is complete BS. So now Obama is getting roasted over the coals for not acting unilaterally? Didn't you guys just get done filing a lawsuit about this? Congress should always be included over matters of war. And it's obvious that golf, for whatever reason, is a major stress reliever for Obama. And I have zero problem with him using it as a tool to this end. JFK and Clinton were probably screwing everything in sight to relax. In comparison, golf is quite benign.

Obama is getting roasted for going to the golf course instead of the situation room in the wake of the beheading video.

Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    I really don't know what threat ISIS is to the US, because everyone in the government and media has an agenda. If they truly are a threat to the US, then Obama needs to act. My best indicator is probably Rand Paul, and if Rand thinks action is required, it's probably required. So what should Obama do? He should go to Congress, present a case, and get Congressional approval to act.

Obama doesn't seem to understand the nature of his job. He understands the trappings, but he acts more like he's a king, and he can wave a wand, and people will simply do his bidding. He just doesn't seem prepared ahead of time so that he can be decisive when a decisive moment is required. OK, so he's now gathering a coalition. Knowing how serious this is, he should have been gathering a coalition sooner. The appearance is that he's now gathering a coalition, not so this is a joint effort, but to validate Obama's strategy

Before Obama was elected in 2008, he used to talk about how the US was hated and perceived throughout the world. He used to talk about talking instead of fighting. Heck, Obama won a Nobel Prize for taking that position. I wonder how he would view his results now if those results belonged to someone else, like Hillary or W.
    Critisize him all you want, but at the end of the day, no new wars have been started under Obama. And I think that is commendable. You said it yourself. ISIS likely isn't a threat to the US. And neither is Russia. So why should we start a war when we're not even involved? I for one am glad that we have a methodical President during times like this. I shudder to think of the knee jerk reactions someone like McCain would have to these events. Unless ISIS presents a genuine threat to us, we should be very cautious in going whole hog against them.

Obama is getting roasted for going to the golf course instead of the situation room in the wake of the beheading video.
    So your contention is that Obama should have immediately reacted to the beheading even though he likely didn't have all the information yet?

My contention is that golfing after learning that one of our citizens was brutally beheaded and Obama was challenged by name by the executioner is extremely odd behavior. I can't imagine going golfing after watching the killer express a clear warning that more citizens are next... a warning made directly to me by name.

And instead of saying, "Yeah, it was wrong to go golfing at such a time" we get, "Gee, that didn't look so good in hindsight."

He doesn't care whether it was the wrong thing to do or not. He's just sorry it looked bad.

My contention is that golfing after learning that one of our citizens was brutally beheaded and Obama was challenged by name by the executioner is extremely odd behavior. I can't imagine going golfing after watching the killer express a clear warning that more citizens are next... a warning made directly to me by name.
    Look, I don't understand Obama's need for golf either. I personally find it to be a irritating game that only adds to my aggravation. But for Obama it clearly helps him to clear his head. If a Prez needed to smoke a cigarette, or wolf down jelly beans after receiving bad news, would you be complaining? If not, then why do you complain about Obama's way for dealing with stress?

And instead of saying, "Yeah, it was wrong to go golfing at such a time" we get, "Gee, that didn't look so good in hindsight."

He doesn't care whether it was the wrong thing to do or not. He's just sorry it looked bad.
    Please explain to me how trying to relieve stress was the wrong thing to do?

[quote=Huey Grey]
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Tradition":1m83vg2e

Please explain to me how trying to relieve stress was the wrong thing to do?[/quote:1m83vg2e]

He can have all the down-time he wants in about two-and-a-half years.

[quote=The Tradition][quote="Huey Grey":ohadh8ei]
    Quote Originally Posted by "The Tradition":ohadh8ei

Please explain to me how trying to relieve stress was the wrong thing to do?[/quote:ohadh8ei]

He can have all the down-time he wants in about two-and-a-half years.[/quote:ohadh8ei]
    Now you're getting unreasonable. So the new argument is that the President should be given no down time at all for 8 straight years. What a ridiculous statement.

And once again, the number of vacation days Obama has taken is but a fraction of that Bush and Reagan took.

Thread Information