[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Sure the Citadel Wasn't trying to hurt our guys,...

Banned

Sure the Citadel Wasn't trying to hurt our guys,...

Re: Sure the Citadel Wasn't trying to hurt our guys,...

Quote Originally Posted by Guckster

Banned

Citadel player faces discipline, apologizes for cut-blocking comment

Citadel offensive lineman Victor Hill will be disciplined for a comment he posted regarding the Bulldogs' use of cut-blocking in Saturday night's 37-12 loss to top-ranked Florida State. He apologized for the comments Sunday.

Three FSU defensive lineman were injured in the game, and afterwards Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher was asked about cut-blocking, which is a technique of blocking below the waist used by most college football teams, and used more often by triple-option teams such as The Citadel.

Fisher said there was nothing illegal about The Citadel's blocking -- the Bulldogs have not been penalized for an illegal block this season, and film shows FSU also used cut blocks on Saturday night. But Fisher also said he'd rather face "more conventional teams, just because of the chance of injuries that occurred."

Hill, a 6-2, 275-pound senior from Greenville, posted a comment to the article about Fisher's statements on The Post and Courier's website.

"I played in the game last night and also contributed to the injury list and that was just the mindset going into the game," Hill wrote. "Me and my offensive line brothers preached to each other all week that we would be going for knees from the first play to the last play with the A-backs included. We saw it as if they (won't) respect us for blocking them then we'll make them respect us for cutting them!"

Hill's comment drew the attention of FSU fans, and of Citadel coach Mike Houston, who said Hill faces a suspension of some type.

"Victor's words in no way reflect the philosophy, the mindset of what we are trying to build within this program," Houston said. "Anywhere I've ever been, I've tried to do things right and in a first-class manner. I demand that my players play that way and behave that way.

"In no way are the remarks of Victor Hill acceptable for the way I expect a player to think or comment."

In a later comment, Hill tried to clarify his thoughts.

"We don't take pride in ending someone's career," he wrote. "The purpose of a cut-block is to get the defender to put his full attention on the block and to make him play off it. When I said we said we were going for knees it was clearly in thought of cutting not ending careers."

After talking to Hill Sunday, Houston said his original comment conveyed the exact opposite of what the player intended.

"He was trying to say, in his own way, things like, "Florida State didn't respect us going into the game," and using cut blocks would force them to use their hands to defeat the block and slow them down in back-side pursuit," Houston said. "That being said, it came across the opposite of what he meant."

Hill apologized in this statement on Sunday:

"I would like to sincerely apologize for my statements this morning. I am both embarrassed and ashamed of my comments. They reflect in no way, shape or form how I am taught or coached to perform. I am truly sorry for my immature comments that were made out of frustration. It was senseless on my part and I will accept the consequences for my actions and hope to grow from the experience moving forward. I apologize to Coach Jimbo Fisher, his players and the FSU fans for my negative remarks."

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...cking-comments

What a low rent loser. He should have his scholarship revoked and be banned by the NCAA.

Is he being suspended only for the comment?

Even Fisher said cut blocking is legal and acceptable.
    It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.- Richard P. Feynman.

Republics decline into democracies, and democracies degenerate into despotism. - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by MJWilliamson

It has not been announced yet. But I believe it has to do with the commit about trying to take out peoples knees. Had he kept his mouth shut we would not even be discussing this today.

Intentionally trying to hurt the other team is what is unnacceptable.

He was coached to do it. The coach should be suspended for coaching it.

Cut blocking is one thing; chop blocking is another. It's really not any different than hitting a receiver over the middle when he's trying to catch a pass as opposed to making the same hit on a guy who's not involved in the play. Guys can protect themselves when they expect what's coming.

Anyone paying attention during the Citadel game often saw a big scrum in the middle of the line on dice plays, or fake dive plays. The initial block isn't always where the injuries happen. Heck, I'd guess most injuries on the line happen to guys on the edge of the pile getting rolled up.

Hill has been suspended indefinitely. The Citadel coach says he reviewed the film and found no intent to injure.

Quote Originally Posted by PYnole

----Signed Darrell Dockett
    It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.- Richard P. Feynman.

Republics decline into democracies, and democracies degenerate into despotism. - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by PYnole

----Signed Darrell Dockett
    Resigned by Mo Mitchell

That is a bit different, I would think. The block by Mitchell that hurt the FSU player was during the play. One can certainly argue whether Mitchell knew it was a chop block, with another player engaged. But he was called for a penalty and the play was illegal. Without the other player engaged though, the block by Mitchell is legal.

OTOH Darnell intentionally tried to twist Graham knee after the play. He also tried to stomp on the hand of Grossman after a play. Video evidence supports both of those incidents Darnell is also known for being on the the dirtiest players in the NFL. He has been accused and caught stomping on the hands of several players.

That is a bit different, I would think. The block by Mitchell that hurt the FSU player was during the play. One can certainly argue whether Mitchell knew it was a chop block, with another player engaged. But he was called for a penalty and the play was illegal. Without the other player engaged though, the block by Mitchell is legal.

OTOH Darnell intentionally tried to twist Graham knee after the play. He also tried to stomp on the hand of Grossman after a play. Video evidence supports both of those incidents Darnell is also known for being on the the dirtiest players in the NFL. He has been accused and caught stomping on the hands of several players.
    You really want to talk about this? I have a spike for you... Brandon Spikes.

Be happy to talk about it all you want. Our player was suspended for a game for that incident. Rightly When was Dockett ever suspended?

Your approach seems to excuse the behavior of Dockett by pointing to bad behavior by other players?

Is that really what you want to do?

Be happy to talk about it all you want. Our player was suspended for a game for that incident. Rightly When was Dockett ever suspended?

Your approach seems to excuse the behavior of Dockett by pointing to bad behavior by other players?

Is that really what you want to do?
    Why are we discussing this in a thread about Citadels players doing something?

Oh that's right... because you felt a need to inject it thereby ignoring all the gators that have done the same thing...

Just because your guys got caught doesn't absolve them of anything... they are still douche bag bad sports.

Thread Information