[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Leonard Hamilton doing work in the offseason!

Leonard Hamilton doing work in the offseason!

I know we're all excited about football right now, but Coach Hamilton may be on the verge of signing one helluva recruiting class. Exciting stuff. He's probably nearing the end of his career, I'd love to see him catch lightning in a bottle just once, he deserves it.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Florida-St...osite-30896193
    You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Re: Leonard Hamilton doing work in the offseason!

Coach Hamilton may be on the verge of signing one helluva recruiting class

Terrance Mann, a 4-star, had verballed to FSU 3 weeks prior (BTW, when I last checked around, Beasley was more generally considered a 4-star as well, but OTOH several sources seem to have Bacon as a top-20-ish in the nation type player and a 5-star). Hopefully all 3 verbals stick solid with FSU until the signing period, and hopefully all 3 qualify. The class should be done, unless they are anticipating some attrition from the underclassmen.

Interestingly, over the weekend Ira Schoffel tweeted that the commitments had created a buzz about FSU and that other highly regarded players had begun to reach out to the Noles staff. I was thinking he meant players in the following class, since our 2015-2016 roster would in theory now be full. But it’s possible they’re anticipating some attrition from the underclassmen (and for that matter, if a good enough talent wanted to come here and play alongside the guys who’ve committed, we are not above nudging a lesser talent out the door. I would have to look up when it happened. It might have been when Toney Douglas wanted to come here, but at some point we needed room for a superior talent, and room was made. With Ham staring at 2 and potentially 3 NIT seasons in a row, it’s not time for sentimentality). And then there is our budding star Arron Thomas, who I’ve heard some talk about maybe turning pro as a junior after the season. The way he came on during the last dozen games of last season, I would project him currently as a 2nd round NBA pick. Unless he really blows up this season, he’d be smarter to stick around, but Ham has had several guys jump early to be 2nd rounders (Von Wafer, Alex Johnson, Soloman Alabi).

Here’s what I currently expect on the 2014-2015 roster:

Kiel Turpin (Sr) RS, Michael Ojo (Jr)
    Boris Bojanovsky (Jr), Jarquez Smith (So), Philip Cofer (Fr)
    Aaron Thomas (Jr), Brandon Allen (So) WO
    Montay Brandon(Jr), XRay Mayes(Fr)
    Devon Bookert(Jr), Dayshawn Watkins (So), Robbie Berwick (Fr)

Thomas will be something like preseason 2nd Team All-ACC. Mayes had to sit out last season over invalidated HS classes, but is another great shooter and was a top-30-ish HS player. Worked out with Al Thornton last summer who praised his game. Bookert can shoot as well, but last season had difficulties with the PG role and sometimes Ian Miller had to be our crutch at that position. Hopefully Watkins, a JUCO, has better true PG skills (he’d better, as he’s very slight of frame and couldn’t shoot very well…… but about 5 APG in juco). Bojo understands the game really well and knows how to play the post, just doesn’t know how to get his weight above 240 pounds (at 7-3). Hopefully over the summer somebody found him a former Eastern Bloc steroids dealer. And introduce said dealer to Jarquez Smith as well.

Like I said some think Thomas will jump early to the NBA (if we fail to make the NCAAs, will that hasten his rush for the exits?). But if he sticks to polish his game for that final year and plays alongside the incoming prep stars, we could be set for finally having another nice run in 2015-2016:

Boris Bojanovsky (Sr), Michael Ojo (Sr)
    Jarquez Smith (Jr), Philip Cofer (So)
    Aaron Thomas (Jr), Dwayne Bacon (Fr), Malik Beasley (Fr)
    Montay Brandon(Sr), XRay Mayes(So) , Terrance Mann (Fr)
    Devon Bookert(Sr), Dayshawn Watkins (Jr), Robbie Berwick (So)

I tend to put guys nominally into the lineup based on seniority (Ham does tend to give his upperclassmen first crack at starting), but Bacon and perhaps a second freshman project well enough to be getting starters minutes by season’s end.

He's probably nearing the end of his career, I'd love to see him catch lightning in a bottle just once, he deserves it.

He came close with the 2011 team. 8 seconds or so from reaching the Elite 8 and the team that beat us I believe reached the final four. Obviously the ACC championship in 2012 was nice. But he needs to make some more hay here pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Spearchucker87
    He's probably nearing the end of his career, I'd love to see him catch lightning in a bottle just once, he deserves it.

He came close with the 2011 team. 8 seconds or so from reaching the Elite 8 and the team that beat us I believe reached the final four. Obviously the ACC championship in 2012 was nice. But he needs to make some more hay here pretty soon.
    Agreed, those were an exciting couple of years for bball, especially for those of us old enough to remember where the program typically is. But those are a nice couple of lineups you sketched out in the previous post. Point guard might be a bit of a liability this year, but the future is exciting.

Well speaking of situations where you might “make room” on the roster for a really good player, Rivals #13 / 5-star Antonio Blakeley has backed out of his September verbal to Louisville. FSU was a finalist and I believe he looking at us again. But he would have to take the place of one of the 13 guys above on the 2015-2016 roster. And unfortunately he plays the same position (wing/2G) as 2 guys we’ve already signed, and they are talented. So unless somebody is unhappy at FSU, probably not worth pushing somebody out the door, and Ham is not that cutthroat.

Quote Originally Posted by Spearchucker87
    Well speaking of situations where you might “make room” on the roster for a really good player, Rivals #13 / 5-star Antonio Blakeley has backed out of his September verbal to Louisville. FSU was a finalist and I believe he looking at us again. But he would have to take the place of one of the 13 guys above on the 2015-2016 roster. And unfortunately he plays the same position (wing/2G) as 2 guys we’ve already signed, and they are talented. So unless somebody is unhappy at FSU, probably not worth pushing somebody out the door, and Ham is not that cutthroat.
    That would just be an absolutely silly haul for FSU bball. I say if he wants in, let him in. Either Thomas goes pro early or we cull the roster, maybe 'encouraging' someone to take advantage of the graduate transfer rule.

Would not blame Ham at all if he made a strong play to get him here. Aside from being an even smoother scorer than anybody else we brought in, watching his video I think he handles well enough to play the point. I might bring him in to do a little of both, and he could play on the floor at same time Bacon and Beasley were on the wing.

Interestingly, over the weekend Ira Schoffel tweeted that the commitments had created a buzz about FSU and that other highly regarded players had begun to reach out to the Noles staff.
    That was 1 week ago. I wonder if Blakeley could have been one of the them? Most of those guys know each other, or at least know about each other, from the high level AAU circuit. Chris Nees (former Warchant hoops mod ‘Animal2005’ / now paid recruiting analyst) mentioned in the same thread over on Noles247 that high level talents want to play with other high level talents. I guess everybody knows you can’t win big as a 1 man show.

To dream a little bit, honestly I would just get his commitment and his letter of intent and have him be 100% assured he will be on the roster, then see how things shake out this upcoming season. Odds are one of the underclassmen will show he is just not going to be a contributor here, and probably would not be particularly unhappy to find a better spot.

I most of the time hate the idea of cutting guys loose, provided they are happy with their choice to be Seminoles and meeting our requirements/ not getting in trouble. The one time there were clues that we did it was when Antonio Griffin, a back-of-the-bench juco, had talked about returning to FSU for this senior year, but then we found him a home at Cal State Bakersfield, which was close to his hometown, and he was able to finish out his college career as a starter and big contributor. That was the summer when Toney Douglas transferred in from Auburn, and until Griffin left we had no room on scholarship. The way I looked at it then was that it would have simply been irresponsible for Hamilton to not make room for Douglas. If it were to turn out Blakeley was interested, probably the same could be said now.

Thread Information