[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSU Presidential Search - News & Commentary

FSU Presidential Search - News & Commentary

From St Pete Times

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/ ... es/2196292

Two of the top candidates are politicians with no academic experience. Still seems fixed to me. Go F yourself Thrasher, you scumbag

Re: FSU Presidential Search - News & Commentary

Guest Editorial from Music Professor at FSU in Trailerhassee Democrat

I'm posting the full article due to annoying pay wall at that site

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/opinio ... /15095331/

Michael Buchler: How to become president

Michael Buchler, My View 10:09 a.m. EDT September 5, 2014

In 1952, Shepherd Mead wrote "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying," a satirical send-up of Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People." Mead's book offers a road map that shows how someone with no knowledge or business experience can climb to the top of a large corporation. All you have to do is step on people, capitalize on influence and lie shamelessly.

I've been thinking about that book a lot these days, as I daydream about how I, a mere music professor, might become president of Florida State University (and increase my salary manyfold). Unfortunately, I recognize that, while I've held some leadership positions and have taught for many years, I couldn't possibly attain this job, because I lack one key requirement: connections, lots of connections. Even if I didn't remotely meet all the advertised criteria, I believe that, with a healthy dose of influence, I truly could succeed in higher-education administration in Florida without really trying.

Imagine, for instance, if I were a powerful state senator, or a former speaker of the House, or even both! What if the chair of FSU's Board of Trustees were a friend of mine? What if I had political or social connections with almost every single member of the BOT? Wouldn't that make life substantially easier?

I could simply ask my friends on the board to appoint a search committee filled with my political allies (allowing maybe a few token seats for those who actually teach or attend courses at the university). Next, the search committee chair (one of my good friends) could hire a headhunter who had experience installing politicos like me into university positions. Headhunters are great: they're the human resources equivalent of money laundering. If my friends suggested interviewing me, it might be seen as "cronyism." (Such an ugly word!) If the headhunter, who is paid by my friends, suggests interviewing me, well, that's a fair search process.

The headhunter could suggest dropping any listing of credentials or application deadlines when advertising the job, hurrying things along during the summer when many professors and students are away from campus. A few weeks into the search, the headhunter could simply declare that I was the only viable candidate, the majority of the committee would agree, and presto! I'd be president. Hail to the chief!

But what if something went awry? What if the meddling faculty, students, or press paid attention and sniffed out my scheme? What if they got rid of my headhunter? What if the new headhunter found some candidates with legitimate qualifications? What if, heaven forbid, I actually had to compete for the job?

In that case, we'd need to set an actual deadline, and manipulating the system would become a tad more difficult. Here's what I'd do: Acknowledge that everyone knows you can't have only one candidate.

Usually a search committee interviews three or four people and recommends its favorite to the Board of Trustees. It might be uncomfortable for the search committee to select me if someone genuinely qualified had actually applied, so, as insurance, I'd try to corrupt the usual process. Instead of merely asking the search committee to interview at least three candidates, I'd ensure that it send at least three names to the BOT without expressing a preference. The toothless committee would then lose its one power: the power to nominate a single best candidate or even to offer a ranked list. Surely, I could slip into the top three. My friends on the BOT could then appoint me president while following "due process."

And if my friends weren't as loyal as they ought to be, I'd play my final trump card and have the governor make a few strategic phone calls, asking trustees whether they want to be reappointed. With his track record of firing trustees who vote against his wishes, the governor should have them shaking in their socks. It's great to be on his team.

Yes, with the right connections, there's absolutely no need for academic credentials or experience, there's no need for management experience, and there isn't even a need for a clean ethics record (no matter what the job description says).

Know the right people, understand how to peddle your influence, and it's easy to succeed in higher education in Florida.

Michael Buchler is vice president of the Society for Music Theory and an associate professor of music theory at the Florida State University College of Music. Contact him at mbuchler@fsu.edu.

WCTV.....video of story about full page ad against Thrasher and a report of protests shutting down meeting of search committee today in Trailerhassee

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/FSU-P ... vice=phone

Since D'Alemberte stepped down, the office of the president has been a huge problem for the university. Barron was fantastic and exactly who the university needed, but given the athletic priorities and the extraordinary lack of financial support and investment in the academic mission of the university among the alumni, he was never going to stay very long. Now, it appears that FSU is poised to make another tremendous blunder. It's deeply sad, but the trend is undeniable. I used to hope that FSU would catch up to UF; now I hope that FSU doesn't continue its decline into the second tier of SUS schools. USF is already winning the research funding race and has a better reputation as a vibrant, growing research community. The rates of endowment growth suggest that USF will likely overtake FSU in the near future. UCF also smells the blood in the water. FSU needs to get it together quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    I used to hope that FSU would catch up to UF; now I hope that FSU doesn't continue its decline into the second tier of SUS schools. USF is already winning the research funding race and has a better reputation as a vibrant, growing research community. The rates of endowment growth suggest that USF will likely overtake FSU in the near future. UCF also smells the blood in the water. FSU needs to get it together quickly.

The University of Leon County crowd won't be affected if we are the least significant university in the state system. They will still be able to use the school for all the current perks like jobs for unqualified friends and family members and good seats at football games. Those morons would sell all the books in the library on ebay if they could use the money to fund an athletic dorm (which would also mean $$$ for a few connected construction types) or some other toy which would allow up to keep pace in the football arms race.

FSU president search halted by student protest

http://tbo.com/news/politics/fsu-presid ... -20140905/

Curious...given that FSU is not and never will be on par with the elite schools, what does it really matter what the academic ranking is? FSU will always be a decent public university - no more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Nole_OX
    The University of Leon County crowd won't be affected if we are the least significant university in the state system. They will still be able to use the school for all the current perks like jobs for unqualified friends and family members and good seats at football games. Those morons would sell all the books in the library on ebay if they could use the money to fund an athletic dorm (which would also mean $$$ for a few connected construction types) or some other toy which would allow up to keep pace in the football arms race.
    Sadly, this does seem to sum it up...

The state university system as a whole in Florida is very badly screwed up. Politicians in the state have far more sway over the universities than in most states. FSU's BOT is made up largely of political appointees, many of whom have very dubious qualifications to serve on the BOT. Some of the major stakeholders were very offended about how Eric Barron left and Thrasher was part of the solution to that problem. Unfortunately, our university is also suffering from some back room political fighting. Much of the legislative push to get Thrasher out the door has to do with Senate president race between Latvala and Negron.

Isn't the author a warchant poster?

It's not just Florida. Years ago the governor of Indiana appointed a bunch of people at Purdue, and after he stopped being governor those people he'd appointed elected him president of the university.

Here's looking at you, Mitch Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    Isn't the author a warchant poster?

He posts here occasionally, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MuchasVeces
    It's not just Florida. Years ago the governor of Indiana appointed a bunch of people at Purdue, and after he stopped being governor those people he'd appointed elected him president of the university.

Here's looking at you, Mitch Daniels.
    That's sad. I used to respect Mitch Daniels. It's just another reason why I never really trust any politician.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Rigged search is complete. What a disgrace

Who was selected?

In Boston this week. I know nothing.

Thrasher.

That's terrible.

The funding race (USF and UCF) is mostly medically driven. FSU was hamstrung in that arena. In fact, the engineering and medical issues I think have been the primary difference historically in money and rankings between FSU and UF. But, these sorts of presidential hires fly directly in the face of any sort of academic mission. This guy has no business being in charge of a university.

It would seem the fix was in. Let's hope he's as good at raising money as the Trustees feel he will be.

Why would we be shocked....

You guys are setting records for bad moves by a university. How bad can your pub get?

Thread Information