[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: U.S. Hikes Fee To Renounce Citizenship By 422%

U.S. Hikes Fee To Renounce Citizenship By 422%

Over the last two years, the U.S. has had a spike in expatriations. It isnít exactly Ellis Island in reverse, but itís more than a dribble. With global tax reporting and FATCA, the list of the individuals who renounced is up. For 2013, there was a 221% increase, with record numbers of Americans renouncing. The Treasury Department is required to publish a quarterly list, but these numbers are under-stated, some say considerably.

The presence or absence of tax motivation is no longer relevant, but that could change. After Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin departed for Singapore, Senators Chuck Schumer and Bob Casey introduced a bill to double the exit tax to 30% for anyone leaving the U.S. for tax reasons. That hasnít happened, but taxes are still a big issue for many.

To leave America, you generally must prove 5 years of U.S. tax compliance. If you have a net worth greater than $2 million or average annual net income tax for the 5 previous years of $157,000 or more for 2014 (thatís tax, not income), you pay an exit tax. It is a capital gain tax as if you sold your property when you left. At least thereís an exemption of $680,000 for 2014. Long-term residents giving up a Green Card can be required to pay the tax too.

Now, the State Department interim rule just raised the fee for renunciation of U.S. citizenship to $2,350 from $450. Critics note that itís more than twenty times the average level in other high-income countries. The State Department says itís about demand on their services and all the extra workload they have to process people who are on their way out.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...enship-by-422/

Re: U.S. Hikes Fee To Renounce Citizenship By 422%

People actually want to leave this great country and will pay to do so?

I know a few I am willing to pay the bill for if they will leave!

If this great country keeps going the way it's going, leaving will be tempting.

Hope I can afford to leave if it comes to that.

This makes sense. It also proves, yet again, that those who assert that taxation is akin to robbery at the point of a gun are engaged in mind numbingly inaccurate hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    This makes sense. It also proves, yet again, that those who assert that taxation is akin to robbery at the point of a gun are engaged in mind numbingly inaccurate hyperbole.

Critics note that itís more than twenty times the average level in other high-income countries.

This makes sense to you?

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    I would say it does the exact opposite. It proves that taxation is in fact robbery , I would say extortion, at the point of a gun.

With penalties like that I now understand why Alec Baldwin didn't leave.

Thread Information