[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Feds give green light to truckers who are PARTIALLY BLIND!

Feds give green light to truckers who are PARTIALLY BLIND!

Some truck drivers who are partially blind will be allowed to operate commercial motor vehicles, federal regulators said Thursday.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will exempt 14 truck drivers who suffer from poor vision, including some who are blind in one eye, from rules that would otherwise prohibit them from driving commercial vehicles.
    "They are unable to meet the vision requirement in one eye for various reasons," the FMCSA wrote in the Federal Register. "The exemptions will enable these individuals to operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate commerce without meeting the prescribed vision requirement in one eye."

The FMCSA is also considering exemptions for another 35 truck drivers who also have impaired vision.

Most of these drivers can only see effectively through one eye and have serious problems with the other eye, including in some cases, a complete loss of vision, according to the FMCSA.

For many of these truck drivers, their poor vision is the result of childhood traumas, the agency said.

The exemptions come amidst heightened concern truck driver safety following a crash that nearly killed comedian Tracy Morgan earlier this year.

But the FMCSA said these partially blind truck drivers have good enough vision in one of their eyes that they can safety operate a commercial vehicle.

Read more: http://thehill.com/regulation/216182-fe ... z3BmtON3jt

Re: Feds give green light to truckers who are PARTIALLY BLIN

I don't necessarily have a problem with this. If someone is blind and can drive safely, I see no reason why the government should be able to keep them from getting these jobs. The thing to keep in mind is that one can be legally blind, but still see well enough to perform at high levels at what one would consider highly visual activities. One of my friends in high school was legally blind in one eye but could drive with ease. He was also a four sport athlete and got a scholarship to play football in college. So for people like this, they should receive an exception.

depth perception requires two eyes. not sure how you judge distance between an object you're approaching at 70 miles per hour if you don't have any depth perception.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    depth perception requires two eyes. not sure how you judge distance between an object you're approaching at 70 miles per hour if you don't have any depth perception.
    I don't either, but I know that some blind people can do exactly this. My friend was also a starter on the basketball team and played shooting guard. He had a very good shot, so obviously his depth perception was good enough for that.

Made me immediately think of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNxLjCBJc

Nice. I forgot all about that movie.

Thread Information