[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama's 'no strategy' comment on ISIS

Obama's 'no strategy' comment on ISIS

I guess 'we have no strategy' can mean 'there are no good options here' but if so, why not just say that?

I think he is just befuddled about how to handle the events unfolding around the world. Understandable, but indecision isn't leadership.

This is relatively new ground for the US. After all, we are often wrong, but rarely in doubt. You have to think the rest of the world is used to looking to the US for cues, but here we are admitting we are clueless about what to do next. Bizarre times.

Re: Obama's 'no strategy' comment on ISIS

A real president would have said, "We're putting together a coalition. I can't say when or where ISIS will be confronted, but make no mistake, ISIS will be confronted, and they will be defeated."

Instead we get this weak-kneed, namby-pamby mush.

874 days left until this international nightmare is over.

Incompetence and corruption is running rampant in this administration. There simply aren't enough federal government resources to investigate or fix all the problems within the federal government. Pretty soon we'll have another layer investigating why the investigators haven't gotten anywhere.

Yes, I branched out from the sheer incompetence of not have a consistent, public foreign policy. Obama is always in a reactive mode, pondering his next move after events unfold, instead of anticipating events and being ready to take action.

I guess it's hard to think about foreign policy when you have a 4 foot putt for bogey staring at you.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtNole
    I guess 'we have no strategy' can mean 'there are no good options here' but if so, why not just say that?

I think he is just befuddled about how to handle the events unfolding around the world. Understandable, but indecision isn't leadership.

This is relatively new ground for the US. After all, we are often wrong, but rarely in doubt. You have to think the rest of the world is used to looking to the US for cues, but here we are admitting we are clueless about what to do next. Bizarre times.

Amateur hour continues to be fully magnified with every crisis. How could he not come up with a plan quickly for what he referred to as the JV team months ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog

Amateur hour continues to be fully magnified with every crisis. How could he not come up with a plan quickly for what he referred to as the JV team months ago?
    One guess is that there simply isn't a good plan of action here, at least not in the long run. I personally agree with Obama's decision, or lack of, on how to solve this problem. He might have worded it better, but ultimately there is no good strategy and there might not even be a solution.

Huey, you and I probably agree on what should happen, but Obama can't go around saying "there's no plan". Yes, that's just a poor choice of words, but when you're POTUS, everyone in the world pays attention to those words. The world needs to have faith in the POTUS. Obama isn't delivering.

Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    Huey, you and I probably agree on what should happen, but Obama can't go around saying "there's no plan". Yes, that's just a poor choice of words, but when you're POTUS, everyone in the world pays attention to those words. The world needs to have faith in the POTUS. Obama isn't delivering.
    Yeah, I admit. Saying he had "no plan" was poor phrasing. Stuff like this drives me nuts about Obama sometimes. I'm not sure why he wouldn't just say, "There are no good choices here. Any decision we make will come with heavy consequences. But I'm working hard with my team of advisors to find the best choice. We will find a way to help."

Huey - you are correct.

Huey Grey in '16!

No, apparently we donít have a strategy yet. And no, as President you certainly donít just come out and say that. Strange blunder. Iíve questioned a lot of his FP moves, but I always thought he at least tried to be very careful with his words, avoiding making a commitment until he had really thought over all aspects of a situation (sometimes to a fault).

Interesting screwup. Could it be fatigue? Maybe he should hit the links...

I don't always have a strategy, but when I do it's for fundraising. #StayThirstyMyFriends

Quote Originally Posted by Spearchucker87
    No, apparently we donít have a strategy yet. And no, as President you certainly donít just come out and say that. Strange blunder. Iíve questioned a lot of his FP moves, but I always thought he at least tried to be very careful with his words, avoiding making a commitment until he had really thought over all aspects of a situation (sometimes to a fault).

Interesting screwup. Could it be fatigue? Maybe he should hit the links...

The same guy who drew a red line in the sand is the one you claim tried to be careful and avoid making commitments? That guy?

On the job training is difficult, especially when it involves the Presidency. Obama has never held a real job in his life, nor been in a position of authority and responsibility, and suddenly we expected him to be ready for the Oval Office? :shock:
    Just a puppy kicking, children starving, grandma shoving, kitten throwing, evil, vile, nasty, disgusting, racist, sexist, bigot.....or so I've been told. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ912
    The same guy who drew a red line in the sand is the one you claim tried to be careful and avoid making commitments? That guy?

When it comes to actually making foreign policy decisions, I do think Obama has at times been exceedingly deliberate and careful, almost to the point of paralysis before finally coming to a decision. I would have thought that approach would filter into how he makes public statements as well. Maybe it doesnít. I dislike politicians too much to listen to a lot of their public statements, so I could hardly be the judge of that. If youíve had the opportunity to listen more, you have my sympathiesÖ

Much ado about nothing, as usual. Yes, the president left out a qualifier - "fixed", settled" - in one response to a long press conference in which he described a process of deliberation which he made clear was not complete, but in which he clearly was fully informed and engaged.

The horror!

Quote Originally Posted by wordjazz
    Much ado about nothing, as usual. Yes, the president left out a qualifier - "fixed", settled" - in one response to a long press conference in which he described a process of deliberation which he made clear was not complete, but in which he clearly was fully informed and engaged.

The horror!
    Wordjazz sounds a lot like jfrent - I get that right?

As far as the press conference, I agree that the no strategy remark may be just a really poor language choice and that the broader remarks add some context. However, read the following passage and tell me how it is much better? Not like ISIL has just come on the scene in the past few days.

As I've said, rooting out a cancer like ISIL will not be quick or easy, but I'm confident that we can and we will, working closely with our allies and our partners. For our part, I've directed Secretary Hagel and our Joint Chiefs of Staff to prepare a range of options. I'll be meeting with my National Security Council again this evening as we continue to develop that strategy. And I've been consulting with members of Congress, and I'll continue to do so in the days ahead.

The horror!

As far as the press conference, I agree that the no strategy remark may be just a really poor language choice and that the broader remarks add some context. However, read the following passage and tell me how it is much better? Not like ISIL has just come on the scene in the past few days.

As I've said, rooting out a cancer like ISIL will not be quick or easy, but I'm confident that we can and we will, working closely with our allies and our partners. For our part, I've directed Secretary Hagel and our Joint Chiefs of Staff to prepare a range of options. I'll be meeting with my National Security Council again this evening as we continue to develop that strategy. And I've been consulting with members of Congress, and I'll continue to do so in the days ahead.

Yes, you pegged me right.

Uh, that passage gives context which the quote in question does not. The president is partly avoiding specifying exactly what options are on the table - besides bombing ISIL and pressuring allies to help, both of which are ongoing and announced. It is not wise, or a constitutional mandate, that he practice diplomacy or military strategy in public, and wise that he doesn't. He is cautious and reflective to a fault and in contrast to the previous occupant. Like almost any basic personality trait, that can be good or bad, but based on results and his intelligence, I'll take it anytime.

The horror!

Uh, that passage gives context which the quote in question does not. The president is partly avoiding specifying exactly what options are on the table - besides bombing ISIL and pressuring allies to help, both of which are ongoing and announced. It is not wise, or a constitutional mandate, that he practice diplomacy or military strategy in public, and wise that he doesn't. He is cautious and reflective to a fault and in contrast to the previous occupant. Like almost any basic personality trait, that can be good or bad, but based on results and his intelligence, I'll take it anytime.

You sure do love the guy.

I read the quote and agree that there is context added to the "no strategy" snippet. I absolutely disagree that diplomacy or military strategy is never practiced in public. Also, is it acceptable that he has just recently been considering options? Is that believable? If not, why say it? He talks a ton but sends no consistent message.

This thread seems to be limited to complaining about the president. Is there anything substantive to discuss here?

People are being pretty partisan about it (what's new), but I think the issue has substance. Maybe there is a touch of irony since it's about "image", but the image a president projects I think is a substantive issue. Image and everything else counts for the leader of the free world.

Maybe enough damage has already been done to the image of the presidency over the years that is matters less now.....but people the world over still listen when the president speaks.

.......'Course I also enjoy leaving substance behind altogether and reflecting on

"Yes We Tan"!

and "The Audacity of Taupe"

The horror!

You sure do love the guy.

I read the quote and agree that there is context added to the "no strategy" snippet. I absolutely disagree that diplomacy or military strategy is never practiced in public. Also, is it acceptable that he has just recently been considering options? Is that believable? If not, why say it? He talks a ton but sends no consistent message.
    Diplomacy and military strategy should be practiced in public to the degree it's to your benefit, and no more. I don't think it follows that he just began considering options though the sitution is fast developing and probably caught the administration and everyone else by surprise. He has been bombing ISIL for about a week, so certainly we cn countc that as "strategy".

There is no doubt he could have phrased his responses differently and to better effect, but IMO that is style, not substance, and something his PR department should be concerned with, but not us. The idea that talking tough will impact what ISIS - or for that matter Putin in the Ukraine - does is silly. Any Islamic radicals who are moved by fear can consider the agressiveness with which this administration has used drones and Seals to kill others off. Unfortunately, most of them seek martyrdom.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    This thread seems to be limited to complaining about the president. Is there anything substantive to discuss here?
    Who died and made you Mod.

Thread Information