[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘Poverty is a choice!’

Banned

‘Poverty is a choice!’

Dana Loesch eviscerates the leftist view of poverty: ‘Poverty is a choice!’

“I know a thing or two about poverty,” Dana said. “I spent my childhood in a house headed by a single mom, and sometimes we would have milk, gravy, and biscuits twice a day to save money.”

As Dana explained, she grew up tiny, rented house in a small town with her single mother who worked three minimum wage jobs to provide as best she could for her daughter. While she didn’t always have three meals a day to eat or the proper school supplies, Dana explained they got by because of her mother’s hard work – not a government handout.

“Here’s something: My mom never went on welfare. We never took entitlements,” Dana said. “She worked three jobs… but she never once went on a single food stamp. Nothing. She made minimum wage, and we survived.”

While her mother was entitled to pursue happiness, there was no guarantee that pursuit would be easy. No one, as Dana explained, is entitled to easiness. But everyone is entitled to choose how they wish to live their life. Look no further than President Barack Obama to understand no one in the United States is a slave to the class they were born into.

“My mother did not choose poverty. She may have been born with it, but she didn’t choose it,” Dana said emphatically. “You cannot tell me that poverty is forced upon people… That’s a lie that survives because a particular political entity lives on the power of grievance.”

With the left’s entire political capital tied up in the promise of ‘free’ stuff and government assistance, it is time for the right to come forward with principle-based solutions to the problems that currently keep people in poverty. Congressman Paul Ryan (R-WI) is one Republican speaking out about the issue via his “Expanding Opportunity in America” plan and his new book, The Way Forward: Renewing the American Idea. Ryan joined Dana to discuss the solutions he believes forge a path forward.

More at the LINK

http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/08/25/...y-is-a-choice/

Re: ‘Poverty is a choice!’

"There's nothing Ron Cherry hates more than an FSU score!"
    >>>>>>>>>-------------------------------------------;;;;;;;;------------->

That story is similar to mine, so you know I agree.

Dana seems very confused. She states that her mother neither chose poverty nor was forced into poverty. Yet, her mother was impoverished. How did she become impoverished if she neither chose poverty nor had it imposed upon her by birth or other circumstances?

In other words, she states that poverty is a choice, but her mother didn't choose it. She also states that her mother wasn't forced into poverty, but may have been born into it. These statements are nonsensical without some additional mechanism, as yet unidentified, that led to her mother's poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    That story is similar to mine, so you know I agree.
    Mine as well - two years living in a van under a bridge straight out of highschool made me STRAIGHT UP determined that van life was going to be temporary. Lazer beam focus and dog-ass -determination got me out. Hellified world experience scratching and clawing means she doesn't have to explain anything to me - been there, done that.
    Generally speakin’: You ain’t learnin’ nothing when you’re the one doin’ the talkin

Banned

The Choice , she is talking about,..it whether to STAY IN IT, or do something about it.

Poverty, like most issues we discuss on these boards, is not so cut and dried. Some people are forced(or born) into poverty, others choose it. Some people go through life having never learned the necessary skills to climb out of poverty(others lack the ability to do so). The hard part is to delineate between the two groups. So we can help those who need it with out wasting resources on those who choose that life style and would be able to fend for themselves without societies assistance

Banned

Yes, and this raises the question of why people in red states choose poverty so often, and have for well over a century. Fortunately, I chose to be born not only in America, but up north and by white parents, so I consider myself a role model.

It is silly to argue against the statement that personal choices can have a beneficial or adverse affect on one's life. However, I always foun that the margin of error is a lot smaller for the poor when compared to the rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccurchin
    Poverty, like most issues we discuss on these boards, is not so cut and dried. Some people are forced(or born) into poverty, others choose it. Some people go through life having never learned the necessary skills to climb out of poverty(others lack the ability to do so). The hard part is to delineate between the two groups. So we can help those who need it with out wasting resources on those who choose that life style and would be able to fend for themselves without societies assistance
    That, indeed, is the hard part, and the choices in dealing with that is what separates us politically. One group does not assign any personal responsibility, wants to make sure people are comfortable, and does not want to exclude some people out of fear of excluding people (from getting help) that should be included. The other group believes in a safety net, but wants to push capable people out of the net, and believes in personal responsibility.

There are also differences of opinion on what poverty is. We hear BO talking about income inequality, and poverty, and his perspective is different from that of most of the world. To US liberals, a person is living in poverty if they don't have a cell phone.

We all know that people have different work ethics. Some people are driven, and some people need to be pushed.

IMO, poverty should not be comfortable. IMO, our duty to our fellow citizens is to provide food and shelter, and extreme circumstances, clothing and personal hygiene items. The food being provided should be basic, and shelter should be warehouse style.

Also IMO, this should be a state function, not a federal government function.

Teach people to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccurchin
    That, indeed, is the hard part, and the choices in dealing with that is what separates us politically. One group does not assign any personal responsibility, wants to make sure people are comfortable, and does not want to exclude some people out of fear of excluding people (from getting help) that should be included. The other group believes in a safety net, but wants to push capable people out of the net, and believes in personal responsibility.

There are also differences of opinion on what poverty is. We hear BO talking about income inequality, and poverty, and his perspective is different from that of most of the world. To US liberals, a person is living in poverty if they don't have a cell phone.

We all know that people have different work ethics. Some people are driven, and some people need to be pushed.

IMO, poverty should not be comfortable. IMO, our duty to our fellow citizens is to provide food and shelter, and extreme circumstances, clothing and personal hygiene items. The food being provided should be basic, and shelter should be warehouse style.

Also IMO, this should be a state function, not a federal government function.

Teach people to fish.
    Putting aside your other comments which go to how to deal with the problem, those things which are state functions get lost, a wished for effect for some. To the degree that American voters are ignorant, they are doubly so about state office holders and governmental issues. This works against the idea that local government is closer - in modern times that is less so, as a very small number of people involve them selves in local and state government or have any ideas what they do. This is a function of both national media and a more mobile population. I don't argue against state or local functions which are absolutely necessary, but unless there is some clear benefit, those things done by the federal government will be on more people's radar and receive a more complete airing among voters.

I wonder what Diana would be saying if her mother had had the initiative to take advantage of government programs...had gone back to school...had gotten an education...and had actually escaped poverty?

"My mother was a slacker!"
    "The transition from democracy to tyranny is most easily brought about by a popular leader who knows how to exploit the class antagonism between the rich and the poor within the democratic state, and who succeeds in building up a bodyguard of a private army of his own. The people who have hailed him first as the champion of freedom are soon enslaved."

-From Things Plato Never Said

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    Dana seems very confused. She states that her mother neither chose poverty nor was forced into poverty. Yet, her mother was impoverished. How did she become impoverished if she neither chose poverty nor had it imposed upon her by birth or other circumstances?

In other words, she states that poverty is a choice, but her mother didn't choose it. She also states that her mother wasn't forced into poverty, but may have been born into it. These statements are nonsensical without some additional mechanism, as yet unidentified, that led to her mother's poverty.
    I was about to post, more or less, the same thing.

I'll add that, despite her mother's hard work, they remained in poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandNole

Of course no righty on the thread noticed that. Just as long as she ain't taking entitlements they are fine with her and her children living in poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    Quote Originally Posted by OrlandNole

Of course no righty on the thread noticed that. Just as long as she ain't taking entitlements they are fine with her and her children living in poverty.
    Her mother made the choice to only prepare herself for minimum wage jobs while she was benefiting from the free education our society offers (but can't force kids to take advantage of).

That said, there are situations (like illness or disability) that can throw or keep someone into poverty and it wasn't their fault.

It's pretty typical. The liberal response is the mother is still living in poverty and would be better off taking government handouts. Jeesh.

"Poverty" is an artificially defined standard of living. That's all it is. If people are capable, they should have to work for what they get. It's that simple. It's not a bad thing if everyone doesn't have cable TV, a cell phone, and $100 Nike's.

We agree, finance: from each according to his ability; to each according to his need.

Yeah, he walked right into that one.

Is anybody else confused by the author's message? In one breath she openly admits that poverty isn't a choice, but then contradicts herself by declaring that poverty isn't forced on anyone. Realistically, poverty is forced on people everyday. There are hundreds of reasons why someone might be forced into poverty. Medical bills, getting laid off, having your house burn down, or even the burden of having to take care of family members who might be sick or unable to take care of themselves are all reasons why someone might be forced into poverty.

Even the job market is a prime driver of poverty. Currently there are 3 job job seekers for every 1 job. That in itself will force millions into poverty through no fault of their own. Nate Silver did a study on employment and found that the number one factor in determining if you will get a job isn't necessarily your skillset, but what the job market looks like when you start searching.

Thread Information