[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Houston Astrodome -- What would you do?

Houston Astrodome -- What would you do?

So, here in Houston, one of the most controversial issues is what to do with the Dome. As it stands (barely that is), the Dome is a complete dump. It has sat unoccupied since 1998 -- it was used once to house Katrina refusgees. Last year, voters rejected a 217 MM bond issue to turn the dome into a mixed used facility. Several months ago, the Texans and Rodeo proposed a 67 MM demolition and turn it into a public park -- most of that money coming from private funding. The county judge Ed Emmettt poopooed on that idea. Yesterd, Judge Emmett suggest a even broader plan thaan the 217 MM -- keeping the dome and turning it into some kind of world class indoor park.

So, are you in favor of keeping important historical buildings, which would cost the tax payers. Or should it be torn down and move on to the next thing.

Re: Houston Astrodome -- What would you do?

Don't view it as a historic building. I'd sell it private investors and let them decide what to do.

Sounds like the County Judge needs to get run out of office. You would think all the republicans in that county would be opposed to wasteful govt spending.

Hard not to view as a historic building. First domed stadium, first climat controlled stadium. It was the stadium of the future when it was built in 1963. Pretty amazing.

Yeah, I don't know what Emmett's end game is here. He really wants to keep the stadium. I suspect that they'll just keep putting bond measures on a ballot until it passes.

It's not the Roman Colosseum, tear it down.
    King Jackass

Quote Originally Posted by Belem
    It's not the Roman Colosseum, tear it down.
    There you go - bring back the gladiators!

Quote Originally Posted by Fijimn
    Hard not to view as a historic building. First domed stadium, first climat controlled stadium. It was the stadium of the future when it was built in 1963. Pretty amazing.

Yeah, I don't know what Emmett's end game is here. He really wants to keep the stadium. I suspect that they'll just keep putting bond measures on a ballot until it passes.
    I am bias because I grew up in Houston and first went to that stadium in the early 80s and I agree it is a historical building. But I also don't see the need for taxpayers to shell out a dime to restore it for any purpose other than clearing the lot. If private investors want to maintain or convert it, have at it.

If voters think it is historic, I'd have a ballot initiative for a sales or property tax increase to fund restoration of the building. Should the voters approve, the building is renovated. If the voters decline to approve additional funding, then sell it to private investors and let them make the call.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition

That's interesting, because the rumor is that the dome was built to serve as a fallout shelter. The playing field is actually pretty far below grade, and the damn thing has a ton of concrete and rebar. That's why the demoltion costs are so high (also has asbestos).

They have tried several private investors, but always seems to fall through. The thing is in really bad condition, the rats that live there are huge.

Thread Information