[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government to Farmers: Host Same-Sex Wedding or Pay a fine

Government to Farmers: Host Same-Sex Wedding or Pay a fine

Government to Farmers: Host Same-Sex Wedding or Pay a $13,000 Fine

Should the government be able to coerce a family farm into hosting a same-sex wedding?

In a free society, the answer is no . Family farms should be free to operate in accordance with the beliefs and values of their owners. Government shouldn’t be able to fine citizens for acting in the market according to their own—rather than the government’s—values, unless there is a compelling government interest being pursued in the least restrictive way possible.

But the New York State Division of Human Rights doesn’t see things this way. On August 8, it fined Cynthia and Robert Gifford $13,000 for acting on their belief that marriage is the union of a man and woman and thus declining to rent out their family farm for a same-sex wedding celebration. The Human Rights Commission ruled that “the nature and circumstances of the [Giffords’s] violation of the Human Rights Law also warrants a penalty.”

LINK: FULL STORY

"There's nothing Ron Cherry hates more than an FSU score!"
    >>>>>>>>>-------------------------------------------;;;;;;;;------------->

Re: Government to Farmers: Host Same-Sex Wedding or Pay a fi

the Giffords need to understand that it's not their farm, it belongs to the collective.

Conflicted. Would them not wanting to host a gay wedding be the same as them not wanting to host a wedding of a white couple?

Discrimination is discrimination in the end.

No, the Giffords have to understand when you open up your property to rentals you have abide by non-discrimination laws.

Bigoted schmucks.

And you're bigoted against people of faith. Should a Baptist Church be required to host a Jewish wedding because they "rent" the space to non-Baptists?

This has nothing to do with religion. My position would be no different if they were athiests. If they rent to Baptists for $$$ - then the have to rent to Jews too.

that's ridiculous.

Why? It's the law and not even a law in dispute. Not to mention a state's rights situation you should be itotally respectful of due to your worship states rights.

the law is unjust. My house, my rules. anything else renders private property to be a fairy tale.

If they don't like the law they can sell their farm and move to a state where gay rights are not respected.

I love the beauty of states rights. It's a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    If they don't like the law they can sell their farm and move to a state where gay rights are not respected.

So, if states vote to ban gay marriage then why doesn't that get respected?

Geez, all they had to do was say the barn was closed for repairs, or we are keeping our goats/cows/donkeys in there that month.

Quote Originally Posted by F4Gary
    Geez, all they had to do was say the barn was closed for repairs, or we are keeping our goats/cows/donkeys in there that month.
    No kidding...folks just aren't real bright these days.

Private property, like free will and inalienable rights, is a fairy tale or, as we say in my profession, an aspirational ideal.

Either that or charge the next gay couple $13K.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanseminole
    Quote Originally Posted by F4Gary
    No kidding...folks just aren't real bright these days.
    I'll go with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    the law is unjust. My house, my rules. anything else renders private property to be a fairy tale.
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    Private property, like free will and inalienable rights, is a fairy tale or, as we say in my profession, an aspirational ideal.
    Trad and UCLA are correct here.
    The 14th Amendment guarantees equal protection. You simply cannot turn anyone away based upon race, gender,etc. How this infringes upon the religious freedoms is more interesting although the courts have obviously stated time after time that equal protection trumps religious freedoms.
    For the left the cause is always more important than the people who suffer for it.

The bigger fool than the fellow who knows it all is the one who'll argue with him.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanseminole
    Government to Farmers: Host Same-Sex Wedding or Pay a $13,000 Fine

Should the government be able to coerce a family farm into hosting a same-sex wedding?

In a free society, the answer is no . Family farms should be free to operate in accordance with the beliefs and values of their owners. Government shouldn’t be able to fine citizens for acting in the market according to their own—rather than the government’s—values, unless there is a compelling government interest being pursued in the least restrictive way possible.

But the New York State Division of Human Rights doesn’t see things this way. On August 8, it fined Cynthia and Robert Gifford $13,000 for acting on their belief that marriage is the union of a man and woman and thus declining to rent out their family farm for a same-sex wedding celebration. The Human Rights Commission ruled that “the nature and circumstances of the [Giffords’s] violation of the Human Rights Law also warrants a penalty.”

LINK: FULL STORY
    Horse caca. This is just another sterling example of the USA going into the CRAPPER.

Quote Originally Posted by ggmike1992

So, if states vote to ban gay marriage then why doesn't that get respected?

It should be respected. However, states that chose not to sanction gay marriage will have to recognize the legitimacy of valid out of state same sex marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by LauderdaleNole
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tradition
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    Trad and UCLA are correct here.
    The 14th Amendment guarantees equal protection. You simply cannot turn anyone away based upon race, gender,etc. How this infringes upon the religious freedoms is more interesting although the courts have obviously stated time after time that equal protection trumps religious freedoms.
    I'm kinda torn. On the one hand, I am obviously for religeous freedom. On the other hand, it's not like they were asked to perform the ceremony.

Where do we (as a society) draw the line, though? What if a group wanted to rent the barn for a satanic ritual where they sacrificed dead cats or something? What if a group wanted to rent the barn for a big plushaphillia festival?

Thread Information