[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification


Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

  1. #1

    Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    Not talking just special ops, logistics or air support, I mean the whole deal - ground troops, reestablishing bases, etc. I don't know what the right call is, but seems to me to be when, not if.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    BO says he won't do that. I think he prefers everything to be done via aircraft, manned or drones.

  3. #3

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    I think we'll continue to frustrate ISIS with our "cowardly" attacks from the air, but no significant ground troops. In Iraq, we could provide govt forces with Intel on enemy locations, so they can do some of the ground attacks w/o us getting our hands dirty.

    Syria is a little more difficult, as I donít think we want to be directly involved with the govt. I think we dislike both sides, basically. Maybe the strategy will be to keep them contained W/I Syria as much as possible / limit their spread.

    We can do a lot more than we have already--way more--just from the air. But there is always the sticky issue of civilian casualities. At least for once, I don't think we have the issue of "what if we knock them off, what if what replaces them is even worse.....". I think ISIS is the bottom of the barrel.

  4. #4

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spearchucker87
    We can do a lot more than we have already--way more--just from the air. But there is always the sticky issue of civilian casualities. At least for once, I don't think we have the issue of "what if we knock them off, what if what replaces them is even worse.....". I think ISIS is the bottom of the barrel.
    What if its turtles all the way down?

    I posit that the United States does not have the requisite domestic political will, nor the necessary relative economic and military might to "build a nation" in spite of the inhabits.

  5. #5

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    I think we might have been able to build one, from 2003 to 2006, when we did have a few years of (grudging) domestic acceptance of what Bush was attempting. But I think we did it all wrong. Rumfield's idea of having as light a footprint as possible was a disaster that the surge could not erase the consequences of.

    I agree that today it's no longer possible. However while we can't build one, ISIS is possibly capable of tearing one apart.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    181

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    The Dear Leader probably looks at that Nobel Peace Prize and is just anguished over the decision.

  7. #7

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    No, there is no domestic appetite for more war. You know the public is war weary when even most repubs seem to want to stay out of it.

  8. #8

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    BO says he won't do that. I think he prefers everything to be done via aircraft, manned or drones.

    Because he refuses to listen to his generals. No war was ever won by air. We already had boots on the ground a Balad and the Embassy before ISIS went nuts in Iraq. Nobody really knew about it because they were not considered offensive ground troops due to their mission parameters. we never totally left Iraq

  9. #9

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    Quote Originally Posted by PYnole
    No, there is no domestic appetite for more war. You know the public is war weary when even most repubs seem to want to stay out of it.

    Cant beat ISIS without boots on the ground. That is like spraying bug spray and expecting to kill all of the cockroaches.

  10. #10

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    The owners of the govt namely dynasty bankers and MIC will insist that we go back to war and the puppets they have installed will comply.

  11. #11

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog
    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    BO says he won't do that. I think he prefers everything to be done via aircraft, manned or drones.

    Because he refuses to listen to his generals. No war was ever won by air. We already had boots on the ground a Balad and the Embassy before ISIS went nuts in Iraq. Nobody really knew about it because they were not considered offensive ground troops due to their mission parameters. we never totally left Iraq
    Right. The soldiers weren't called troops, but they still carried rifles and were in harm's way, but had one hand tied behind their back.

  12. #12

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    If a dem is in the WH, no way. We'll just wait until they show up here to do something serious about them.

    Don't think much of the country has the guts to call for it anyway.

  13. #13

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    Don't think much of the country has the guts to call for it anyway.
    Maybe the country has too much sense for it anymore.

    Let's look at the outcome since we inserted troops into the Middle East in 1990 (to protect some kings from a dictator).
    The U.S. has spent over 2 trillion dollars, that we had to borrow, so we carry the interest expense into perpetuity (unless you think Calvin Coolidge is coming back to start paying down federal debt).
    The U.S. has lost 2300+ KIA in Afghanistan.
    The U.S. has lost 4400+ KIA in Iraq.
    The U.S. has lost nearly 3000 civilians in the 9/11 attacks.
    The U.S has suffered 10k's of physical and mentally wounded.

    What has all of that bought us?
    A growing police state at home.
    Libya has been turned into weird beard militia land.
    Syria has been turned into weird beard militia land.
    Iraq is succumbing to weird beard militia land.
    How much hope do you hold out for Afghanistan?

    I guess the King of Kuwait and King of Saudi Arabia are doing alright. Are you telling me that was worth the price? I think most Americans would disagree.

    I don't think the native political disputes of the Middle East can be solved with American guns and bombs. I don't even think they can be resolved by Americans.

    How many more decades, how many more thousands of lives and trillions and dollars do the interventionists intend to piss away trying (and failing) to craft an image of the Middle East that suits them?
    Is there a point where the interventionists step back and say, 'woah, this ain't working!'?
    It seems to me we're only making it worse.

  14. #14

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seminole97

    What has all of that bought us?
    Impossible to know. One key tenant of Bush's WOT was to stop further attacks in the US homeland.
    He said there would be many successes, many battles and many victories that we'd never know anything about. It's possible that's what happened. Nowadays maybe we are more tempted to leak info about any successes.

  15. #15

    Re: Will we end up with troops back in Iraq (or into Syria)?

    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacedog
    Quote Originally Posted by finance85
    BO says he won't do that. I think he prefers everything to be done via aircraft, manned or drones.

    Because he refuses to listen to his generals. No war was ever won by air. We already had boots on the ground a Balad and the Embassy before ISIS went nuts in Iraq. Nobody really knew about it because they were not considered offensive ground troops due to their mission parameters. we never totally left Iraq
    Right. The soldiers weren't called troops, but they still carried rifles and were in harm's way, but had one hand tied behind their back.

    exactly

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2013 www.BigDelivery.com - All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 2014 www.TheDailyNole.com - All Rights Reserved
This website is an independently operated source of news and information not affiliated with any school or team.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO