[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Perry faces 109 years in prison

Perry faces 109 years in prison

Damn.....

It will be interesting to see if he addresses this at all as he makes the rounds around the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/perry-moves-ah...-election.html

Re: Perry faces 109 years in prison

Damn. Rapists and burglars don't get that kind of sentence.

I hate republicans and think that Perry is a corporatist fool who is no friend of Liberty. Guardasil Messiah, anyone? However, these charges are bogus and this case should be immediately dismissed, with prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Nole_OX

I agree but it points out a huge problem with the line item veto if a governor can use it to effect a political goal. The lady pled (pleaded for those of you who are language Nazis) guilty and did her time...it should be up to the voters to dismiss her or not.
    "The transition from democracy to tyranny is most easily brought about by a popular leader who knows how to exploit the class antagonism between the rich and the poor within the democratic state, and who succeeds in building up a bodyguard of a private army of his own. The people who have hailed him first as the champion of freedom are soon enslaved."

-From Things Plato Never Said

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelbybirth

I agree but it points out a huge problem with the line item veto if a governor can use it to effect a political goal. The lady pled (pleaded for those of you who are language Nazis) guilty and did her time...it should be up to the voters to dismiss her or not.
    They also put Perry into office, and gave his office the power to defund by line item anything he wanted. If the voters don't like his veto, then it should be up to the voters to dismiss him or not.
    Just a puppy kicking, children starving, grandma shoving, kitten throwing, evil, vile, nasty, disgusting, racist, sexist, bigot.....or so I've been told. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ912

They also put Perry into office, and gave his office the power to defund by line item anything he wanted. If the voters don't like his veto, then it should be up to the voters to dismiss him or not.

My understanding is that if he had simply defunded it via line item veto that would have been OK. The fact that he threatened to do it unless she resigned is what got him indicted.

Governors shouldn't be extorting other elected officials, regardless of party or circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    Governors shouldn't be extorting other elected officials, regardless of party or circumstance.
    Agreed UCLA. The power shouldn't be a bully pulpit. However I feel she should have resigned on her own for her actions but that is not related to this.

I also agree that she should have resigned, and I support Perry's saying that publicly. Yet, we can not have elected officials extorting other elected officials. She should have resigned, but as she didn't, the disposition of her situation reverts to the people, not to the governor.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ912

The line item veto is a budgetary tool...not a political tool. Perry engaged in blackmail when he threatened funding for the office over her position. He may have engaged in bribery if he told her, as is alleged, that he would restore the funding IF she resigned. This has nothing to do with his veto power, it has everything to do with how he wielded it.

And apparently there is an ongoing investigation into how the governor's office was using grant money to reward political cronies and that investigation was closing in on the gov. If Perry had forced Lehmberg to resign, rather than allowing the voters to decide, he gets to name her successor and likely quash the investigation. Huge motive for his actions.

Just out of curiosity, would you support him defunding the entire state legislature if a representative was convicted of drunk driving and refused to resign?

Based on what I'm reading now, Gov. Rick Perry could have really big problems. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    "The transition from democracy to tyranny is most easily brought about by a popular leader who knows how to exploit the class antagonism between the rich and the poor within the democratic state, and who succeeds in building up a bodyguard of a private army of his own. The people who have hailed him first as the champion of freedom are soon enslaved."

"He may have engaged in bribery if he told her, as is alleged, that he would restore the funding IF she resigned."

And this is where Perry screwed himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nole
    "He may have engaged in bribery if he told her, as is alleged, that he would restore the funding IF she resigned."

Because you're right SOO often.
    Generally speakiní: You ainít learniní nothing when youíre the one doiní the talkin

[quote=Dock Savage]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Brooklyn Nole":2p8s0a7n

Because you're right SOO often.[/quote:2p8s0a7n]

I see you didn't even try to engage the political blackmail point. Nice to know you got nothing.

I am no fan of Rick Perry, but the optics of this aren't great for Democrats. This just seems like a political witch hunt more than an actual enforcement of the law.

Unless they have this on video, there is no one in the right mind that would believe that drunken dumbass woman under these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinNole

Unless they have this on video, there is no one in the right mind that would believe that drunken dumbass woman under these circumstances.
    He sent three people to talk to her. They might be talking to authorities, you know. Add to this that there have been two other TX DA's convicted of drunk driving under Perry's reign and nary a peep from the gov in either case. 'Course, they were both GOP DA's and NOT involved in an investigation of the governor. Seems his outrage is highly situational.

Banned

Waste of time

Thread Information