[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Thread: Judo & BJJ Thread

Judo & BJJ Thread

Word

Re: Judo & BJJ Thread

Kid uses Judo in a street fight in Brazil

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=14 ... =2&theater

I watched most of that Metamoris. Some good matches. I am considering getting back into BJJ. I have been doing Shorinji Kempo, and while I enjoy the locks (and frankly the striking as well) I know it's not as effective as BJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinNole
    I watched most of that Metamoris. Some good matches. I am considering getting back into BJJ. I have been doing Shorinji Kempo, and while I enjoy the locks (and frankly the striking as well) I know it's not as effective as BJJ.
    There have been a few very good matches at each of the 4 Metamoris events. I have found video of all the matches on various sites on the internet. Who was your BJJ teacher in NYC? Renzo? Shaolin? Marcello?

None of those guys. It was actually at two places. An MMA gym called Ronin Athletics, with Christian Montes. I also took some of Relson Gracie's black belt standup defense at Michael Casey's Gracie NY in the Bronx. I was not really interested in competitive BJJ, and thus I took a different approach. I think that a specific self defense curriculum is critical to the reason people should do this, and most gyms are focused on the competitive aspects of BJJ.

If I start back it will probably be at Birdman BJJ in Brooklyn, as he is a very good instructor and some of my friends are there. My friend also teaches the Relson stuff now. I'm actually a few blocks away from Garcia's place, so that would make sense, but it's just not my style. He's amazing, and I have referred several people there and they love him. Shaolin's nearby and Lucas Lepri was teaching here up until recently, too. I'd love to see some of those guys roll at a Metamoris event. Marcello vs Bravo would be interesting. Actually, I want to see Mir vs Barnett and Couture vs Fedor too.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinNole
    None of those guys. It was actually at two places. An MMA gym called Ronin Athletics, with Christian Montes. I also took some of Relson Gracie's black belt standup defense at Michael Casey's Gracie NY in the Bronx. I was not really interested in competitive BJJ, and thus I took a different approach. I think that a specific self defense curriculum is critical to the reason people should do this, and most gyms are focused on the competitive aspects of BJJ.

If I start back it will probably be at Birdman BJJ in Brooklyn, as he is a very good instructor and some of my friends are there. My friend also teaches the Relson stuff now. I'm actually a few blocks away from Garcia's place, so that would make sense, but it's just not my style. He's amazing, and I have referred several people there and they love him. Shaolin's nearby and Lucas Lepri was teaching here up until recently, too. I'd love to see some of those guys roll at a Metamoris event. Marcello vs Bravo would be interesting. Actually, I want to see Mir vs Barnett and Couture vs Fedor too.

Those are all good choices in NY. Birdman trained under Renzo so can't go wrong there. I am training sport BJJ with Robson Moura. It is hardcore but we don't do any self defense BJJ. Once I get closer blue belt, which will be a while, and get in much better shape, which shouldn't be long, I will go to one of the Gracie Garages in town once a week and work on the Gracie Comabatives self defense curriculum. There is a Gracie Academy affiliate with locations in Miami and Ft Lauderdale. I am going to drop in whenever I am down there.

Here is Eddie Bravo rolling with Marcello in NYC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47_Urqs-RM

Thanks for the Eddie/Marcello link. Here is my fav MG match!
    http://youtu.be/X_8O-fq-NI4

Judo vs BJJ.......Ronda Rousey vs BJ Penn

https://vimeo.com/119480282

Ronda could come pin my down anytime she wanted.
    I am going to tear down your safe space
    Brick by brick I shall smash it with glee
    You cannot stop me from getting inside
    I am cold and I am hard and my name is 'Reality'

Judo and bjj is the ultimate combo. Judo to get them to the ground, bjj to submit them.

A 300 pound "street fighter" recently dojo stormed my school and challenged my instructor to a fight. Poor guy didn't know he was going up against a bjj legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALA_dYb2kL4

Thread Information