[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEEED your bloodlust!!!!

FEEED your bloodlust!!!!

Welcome back UCLA...I know you wouldn't approve of this.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/p ... headlines2

Re: FEEED your bloodlust!!!!

If they beat him out of sight of the kids they I applaud them.

I don't approve, and I think that my reasons for disapproving are clear and valid. I would be interested in reading the rationale for believing that this behavior is appropriate and laudable.

Don't you get it. The Father's liberty to drink when he wants and leave his kids in the car was clearly trampled.

sounds like a nice place. I'll have to stop on by next time I'm driving through Ocala.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA
    I don't approve, and I think that my reasons for disapproving are clear and valid. I would be interested in reading the rationale for believing that this behavior is appropriate and laudable.
    I also don't approve. What is to be gained by beating the father other than they have the opportunity to relieve some of their violent tendencies? Has the father learned a lesson that he somehow missed earlier in life? I doubt it.

UCLA,

Which behavior?

Child neglect?

Beating the parent?

Both?

"There's nothing Ron Cherry hates more than an FSU score!"
    >>>>>>>>>-------------------------------------------;;;;;;;;------------->

I don't think that anyone approves of neglecting children, although I am not certain that I would characterize leaving kids in the car as neglect.

I was referencing the beating of the father in my post.

I don't think that anyone approves of neglecting children, although I am not certain that I would characterize leaving kids in the car as neglect.

Pretty much if anyone leaves kids alone in a car in the middle of the night it should be considered neglect and child abuse. At 1m in the morning kids that age should be in a bed, not the parking lot of a bar.

The only problem I see is that the man was still standing after the beating.

Do you approve of his parenting in this case? How would you characterize leaving three young children in a car at a bar parking lot late at night? Endangerment for sure right? You don't think that the guy was neglecting the children's need to be in a safe place where they are attended and can get needed rest?

Even though people who neglect their children anger and frustrate me I don't think that a beating will change this guy's ways. There are very few cases where I'd advocate violence in any situation as a remedy.

I don't approve of his parenting. I would characterize the behavior as sad and regrettable. Yet, based on the information presented in the article, i.e., 3 kids were sitting in their father's car outside a bar at 1AM, I would not describe his behavior as neglect. Neglect requires a pattern of failing to provide for a child's basic needs, e.g., food, shelter, clothing, protection from harm, etc. The information presented here does not allow for that determination.

Aside: my father played in bar bands and my mother was a CHP dispatcher, I spent a lot of time sitting and sleeping in cars at 1AM or later when I was those ages. I never felt like my basic needs weren't being met.

I don't approve of his parenting. I would characterize the behavior as sad and regrettable. Yet, based on the information presented in the article, i.e., 3 kids were sitting in their father's car outside a bar at 1AM, I would not describe his behavior as neglect. Neglect requires a pattern of failing to provide for a child's basic needs, e.g., food, shelter, clothing, protection from harm, etc. The information presented here does not allow for that determination.

Aside: my father played in bar bands and my mother was a CHP dispatcher, I spent a lot of time sitting and sleeping in cars at 1AM or later when I was those ages. I never felt like my basic needs weren't being met.

You are wrong. The father was breaking the law and neglecting his kids well at least one of them per Florida laws.

316.6135?Leaving children unattended or unsupervised in motor vehicles; penalty; authority of law enforcement officer.
    (1)?A parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for a child younger than 6 years of age may not leave such child unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle:
    (a)?For a period in excess of 15 minutes;
    (b)?For any period of time if the motor of the vehicle is running or the health of the child is in danger.
    (2)?Any person who violates the provisions of paragraph (1)(a) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

I was not asserting that I was universally right; I was not making a legal argument; I was sharing my perspective based on my understanding of child neglect.

Regardless, according to the law that you posted, I am not wrong. The 5 yo was not unattended or unsupervised. Additionally, the article does not state that the 5 yo had been in the car for more than 15 minutes. As I stated in my post, the information presented in the article is insufficient for my determining whether the father was neglecting the child. Possibly, he was. I don't have enough information to know.

As I am a mandated reporter to DCFS who deals with these issues daily, I would think that you would want me to err on the side of keeping children with their parents when the situation is ambiguous.

I was not asserting that I was universally right; I was not making a legal argument; I was sharing my perspective based on my understanding of child neglect.

Regardless, according to the law that you posted, I am not wrong. The 5 yo was not unattended or unsupervised. Additionally, the article does not state that the 5 yo had been in the car for more than 15 minutes. As I stated in my post, the information presented in the article is insufficient for my determining whether the father was neglecting the child. Possibly, he was. I don't have enough information to know.

As I am a mandated reporter to DCFS who deals with these issues daily, I would think that you would want me to err on the side of keeping children with their parents when the situation is ambiguous.
    So not to be wrong I would have to make the assumption that you believe a 7 and 8 year old can legal provide supervision for a 5 year old?

I made the assumption when the article read that the realized the man inside drinking had small kids in the car that it had been longer than 15 minutes. If I was a judge I would take custody of his kids away.

I would like to apologize to you also for having to stay locked in a car as a small child that must have been scary for you. If you ever need someone to talk to about it I have a friend on a message board that might could help.

Again, I am not making a legal argument. I am sharing my perspective regarding child neglect. I and most other people throughout human history do believe that an 8 yo can watch a 5 yo for a while with no harm coming to either. I certainly babysat my brother when were both those ages, and I know that my girlfriend took care of her toddler brother when she was that age.

As for me, I never thought it was scary at all. I thought it was awesome! I loved drinking Shirley temples with the bartender after the bar closed and watching the craziness of drunken people being drunk in the parking lot. Going to work with my mother was more boring, but I still loved sneaking into the radio room or wandering through the public safety building in the middle of the night. I learned a lot about shanks. :)

UCLA, we can argue all day about a 5 7 and 8 year old and what we think is right or wrong. In today's world it is not appropriate for an 8 year old to watch a 5 year old. I have a 5 and 7 year old and they can't watch themselves nor would I ever deem it acceptable behavior for them to stay in a car in the parking lot of a bar while I was inside getting drunk.

My best assumption is if someone had not said something or done something this ass clown would have likely gotten drunk, got in his car then drove off with those kids while he was impaired. If you need a drink bad enough to leave your kids in a car parking lot you have an addiction, I don't know a single responsible parent that would deem what he did responsible.

And if the law does nothing to him, at least maybe he will remember the ass whipping he got from people who obviously care more about his kids than he does.

(My comment to you was me being sarcastic) Forgot to add that font on here...lol

I have never defended his behavior or even suggested a defense for his behavior. I think that we all agree that his behavior was inappropriate. The point of disagreement is the vigilante assault on him.

On the topic of appropriate child rearing, the current dominant culture in the US is aberrant in its treatment of children. Scandinavian parents routinely leave their children, even infants, outside unattended while they shop, eat, drink, etc. East Asian parents often require their toddlers to take public transportation alone. The US is bizarre in its infantilization and extended overprotection of young people.

Ucla I believe the over protection of Americans has more to do with the legal system and how we don't punish people who kill and molest children harsh enough.

I am not concerned when my kid is outside playing that he will injure himself, I am worried more what someone else would stop and do to him and then if that person was caught that person would likely good a good evaluation from a person like you and be released from prison in 2 years on good behavior.
    By someone like you mean someone in your field.

Not to mention those 2 years are like staying in a Holiday Inn Express.

If you think I or any other clinical psychologist is likely to sign off on releasing a child predator, then I need to provide you with extensive remediation regarding your understanding of the field.

To the topic of punishing offenders, the US is far more harsh than almost all other industrialized countries. Our society is remarkably fearful, suspicious, and anxious. I am not certain why, but that tendency to fear and suspect each other underlies many of our individual and societal ills.

Man it's good to have UCLA back...I've missed this feeling:

;)

"There's nothing Ron Cherry hates more than an FSU score!"
    >>>>>>>>>-------------------------------------------;;;;;;;;------------->

Thread Information