[Timezone Detection]
X
Really Fast Registration - Join in seconds!

User Name: Email Address: Over 13 and agree
to Forum Rules?  
Human Verification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose, HOF or not?

Pete Rose, HOF or not?

Considering the DOG killer Vick is making millions plying his trade (and Ray Lewis killed a man and got off along with wife beaters et al) and still able to make even more, I think that Pete ought to be eligible for voters to vote him in if they feel so inclined. I make my rationale on the fact that he has served a life sentence already (25 years away from baseball) and has really not much ability to make any significant money from an impending vote into the HOF.

I don't see where Pete damaged baseball any more than the Steroid Era which saw Roger Clemens get better as he aged, Barry Bones go from stick man to "We will Pump You Up" guy from Saturday Night Live (circa many years ago), or the fact that MLB never prosecuted the rampant steroid use in the 70's through the late 80s when players were taking amphetamines like tic tacs. Does Hank hit that many HR after eating amphetamines? I guess we won't ever know. Oh and Tom House, am Aaron teammate, knows full well how rampant steroid use was....hell he was a teammate.

What say all of you?

I'm fer it if he can get the votes.

Re: Pete Rose, HOF or not?

It is a crying shame what baseball did to Pete. No one in the history of the US was over punished as bad as this man was punished.

Until the day MLB holds a press conference and apologies to Pete, that league will always be a joke in my book.

Reinstated and HOF

Lifetime ban is a lifetime ban. Gambling taints the very core of the game, and it cannot be tolerated. His whining hasn't helped him either in the court of public opinion. And he should be joined by bonds and his steriod-era cheating friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolerob
    Lifetime ban is a lifetime ban. Gambling taints the very core of the game, and it cannot be tolerated. His whining hasn't helped him either in the court of public opinion. And he should be joined by bonds and his steriod-era cheating friends.
    Gambling is such a broad term. Just look at A Rod and his gambling scandal. I have met very very very few people in the "public" that has ever agreed with this lifetime ban.

Poll: 81 percent say Pete Rose ban should be reversed

I'm fine for letting Rose in the HOF.

But only if Shoeless Joe goes with him.

actual criminals don't really get life sentences. they get time off for good behavior and released when they are so old and sick that it cost the prison too much money to keep them anymore

Not to mention Shoeless Joe is dead so his life time ban, by definition, is over.

the numbers speak for themselves...
    http://www.bigdelivery.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31&dateline=142444635  1

Pete Rose is one of the games all time greats. He belongs in the hall of fame.

He should be eligible after he dies.

Obviously there is no argument when it comes to his on field abilities. His gambling on baseball however is another issue. I have no problem if he gets in or not - but you won't find me "supporting" him. I have always thought he was a complete ass.

PED's and the players who use them is another issue in my mind. Players that use them are trying to better themselves. I actually think they should be completely legal for all adults. I think they are not nearly as dangerous as we are led to believe. How many former athletes do you know that have serious effects as a result of taking them - please don't say Lyle Alzado - his brother claimed a few years ago that he had cancer. I get that kids will start using them (they are already) if they are made legal.

I worked with a guy who has done steroids for over 20 years - at nearly 50 years old he looks amazing and has had absolutely no ill effects and he takes them every single day.

However at this time PED's are not legal and not allowed in BB. I won't cry for dirtbags like A-Rod who cheat and get caught.

Everyone in the HOF is tainted. Let him in!

Quote Originally Posted by SCIBama
    This. He not only bet on baseball...he bet on his own team. He also lied repeatedly about his actions. Admit Joe Jackson and then Pete...posthumously.
    "The transition from democracy to tyranny is most easily brought about by a popular leader who knows how to exploit the class antagonism between the rich and the poor within the democratic state, and who succeeds in building up a bodyguard of a private army of his own. The people who have hailed him first as the champion of freedom are soon enslaved."

-From Things Plato Never Said

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelbybirth
    Quote Originally Posted by SCIBama
    This. He not only bet on baseball...he bet on his own team. He also lied repeatedly about his actions. Admit Joe Jackson and then Pete...posthumously.
    He BET on his TEAM to WIN. He never placed a bet on his team to lose. He never throw a game.

I think there is a huge difference on betting on your team to succeed than to fail. One you have little control over.

Baseball is keeping him out because of old relationships and commissioners. IMO should be reinstated and allowed into the HOF.

Meanwhile, how many times was Darryl Strawberry allowed to return after getting caught snorting or smoking something?

Taking drugs is not even close to wagering on games.

He's probably one of the top 3-5 hitters ever to play the game. I've got no issue with his career as a player. I do have a problem with the gambling though. I don't care what he said, that's akin to the unforgivable sin in my opinion.

A-rod is just like the others - a disgrace. And if we're talking about getting time off for good behavior I don't think either Rose or A-rod would be eligible.

Without a doubt Rose's numbers are definitely worthy of the HoF - that's beyond doubt. He did it to himself. Just like bonds and his ilk. may their shadows never darken the door to Cooperstown.

As far as PEDs being allowed - I knew people who are just the opposite. I know a guy who had to have surgery to have his ***** tits removed, and guys who had different issues too. There is a good reason that they're regulated. Just because someone anecdotally doesn't have issues doesn't mean someone with a different genetic make-up wouldn't.

And for the record, I'm old enough to remember him as a player and he was a hero to me when I was a kid. I was a huge Pete Rose fan.

Thread Information